Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front hub on my FG is DT-Swiss Radial with Sealed Bearings:17 x 26 x 5mm. Hub got wet so I removed Bearings and Rubber Covers. Cleaned balls with solvent and Air-Gun. Any suggestions on lube? I used White lithium, but it seems thick, and slower rotation.
Is there a thin lube that protects, but allows freer rotation. Anyone use oil instead of grease for a better rotation?
Thanks,
john

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
First, you probably didn't need to do anything. Sealed bearings are designed to be, well, sealed. Unless by "got wet" you mean "was submerged for a long long time in a strong current," your bearings were probably just fine.

Second, when people remove sealed bearings, they don't usually re-lube them, but just replace. They're really designed to be lubed for life.

Third, your grease is not really the problem you think it is. The extra drag that seems to make the wheel slower when you spin it is a very minor increase in drag when in actual use. And it will loosen up with time and use.

Fourth, next time, get a tube of Phil ;-)

·
Cumudgitude
703 Posts
The only addition I have to JCavilia's post is this:

Some track guys will replace the grease on their bearings with light machine or peanut oil. The theory being that the oil will allow for freer rotation than the grease. That said I wouldn't consider either of those an option for outdoor riding. I also believe it doesn't make much difference in terms of rolling resistance. The tire and spoke are more than sufficient levers to get the bearings rolling with negligible resistance when properly adjusted. In my opinion, grease is the least of your worries.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, you probably didn't need to do anything. Sealed bearings are designed to be, well, sealed. Unless by "got wet" you mean "was submerged for a long long time in a strong current," your bearings were probably just fine.

Second, when people remove sealed bearings, they don't usually re-lube them, but just replace. They're really designed to be lubed for life.

Third, your grease is not really the problem you think it is. The extra drag that seems to make the wheel slower when you spin it is a very minor increase in drag when in actual use. And it will loosen up with time and use.

Fourth, next time, get a tube of Phil ;-)
Such a nice response. A lot of info I did't know about sealed bearings...neat. I got soaked from the rain, and not submerged, so I probably was OK. However, being a worrier I had to look, and then I couldn't resist cleaning and lubing the balls. Lesson learned. I have a tube of Phils and probably should have used that.
Thanks.
john

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only addition I have to JCavilia's post is this:

Some track guys will replace the grease on their bearings with light machine or peanut oil. The theory being that the oil will allow for freer rotation than the grease. That said I wouldn't consider either of those an option for outdoor riding. I also believe it doesn't make much difference in terms of rolling resistance. The tire and spoke are more than sufficient levers to get the bearings rolling with negligible resistance when properly adjusted. In my opinion, grease is the least of your worries.
I used to do the oil treatment when I raced track in 70's and 80's. We used Campy HF Track hubs and removed the dust caps and ran open balls with oil. We used to put Simichrome Polish on balls and races and spin axle with a drill to polish the races and balls; clean and lube with light oil.
Thanks for your kind post.
john

·
Cumudgitude
703 Posts
Thanks for your kind post. john
Such a nice response. . .
Thanks.
john
John, you just raised the etiquette bar. It's really uncommon to see someone take the time to be this polite anymore, let alone to do so online. That deserves some recognition. It also inspires me to do the same.

To paraphrase Steve Martin in The Jerk, "I'm gonna' be so considerate, it's gonna' make you puke!"

Thanks for leading by example John.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anybody used Phil Tenacious Oil to lube hub bearings. Seems like a good idea.
I was thinking of cleaning sealed bearings in my DT-Swiss hub, and re-lube with Phil Tenacious Oil. I will let you know how it goes.
john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.