Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there try these yet? I heard the mechanism is a bit diiferent from traditional skewers...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

I have them. The cam is external as opposed to internal (out of sight). They work fine, but they are bulkier than others. I wouldn't buy them again.

·
your god hates me
1,553 Posts
I have them too...guess I never paid much attention to skewers, because until C-40's post (above) it never even occurred to me that their cam was external, or that other skewers had internal cams. They certainly don't strike me as being conspicuously bulky compared to common equivalents; I guess something like the KCNC is much less bulky, but also much more pricey so...

I will say that the DT skewers seem very easy to operate, which means I prefer them to the Mavic or Shimano skewers I've used in the past.

·
Registered
594 Posts
do you mean their traditional type skewers or their ratchet style skewers?

I have their traditional style and actually prefer them. haven't tried their ratchet style ones.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
mootinator said:
Anybody out there try these yet? I heard the mechanism is a bit diiferent from traditional skewers...
If you are talking about their RWS skewers, I installed them on a friends bike that I was building. They are reputed to be "better" by MTB folks (stiffer or something). I don't did't really care for them. You tighten the lever, pull it out to re-position it or wind it back and tighten some more. My friend digs them though, the last I heard.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components2009/RWS.aspx

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bob Ross said:
I guess something like the KCNC is much less bulky, but also much more pricey so...
Huh?

I guess I am thinking of the wrong DT skewers...

Roughly 55 bucks PER SKEWER compared to the KCNC for 75 per pair. And I do not see an external cam here...

I have a couple friends that got these (above photo) on new (mountain) bikes. They clamp well, but they are a bit tough to get used too as they work clamp and release a bit differently than what I am used to. Compared to a lot of other skewers that cost less, weigh less, and work as well for road, I decided to give these a pass.

·
Registered
505 Posts
that's an RWS skewer in the pic above...no experience with those.

the normal cam-action DT skewers that came with my 240s hubs are, well, skewers. they operate smoothly and hold the wheel securely. c-40 is right (as usual) that the lever end of things is a bit bulkier than most, but whatever. no complaints.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
The new ratcheting system tightens by turning the handle around the skewer and not pulling it out/in?

Will cause problems with limited space around some bulkier dropout locations.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
The handle can be disengaged by pulling it out, allowing you to "ratchet" it back. Should be workable with any drop-out, though more tedious with some than others.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
C-40 said:
I have them. The cam is external as opposed to internal (out of sight). They work fine, but they are bulkier than others. I wouldn't buy them again.
I ordered the RWS version for my new build and just didn't like the way they looked, the huge levers, and what I perceived were plastic parts.

Sent them back for a refund as I never rode with them.

On my other bike I have USE SpinStix and they work great. And are light. And most importantly look great.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Spunout said:
The new ratcheting system tightens by turning the handle around the skewer and not pulling it out/in?
not 'new', just different. the offer both styles. my wheelbuilder tells me that the RWS were intended for mtb use, not that they can't be used for road...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
dookie said:
not 'new', just different. the offer both styles. my wheelbuilder tells me that the RWS were intended for mtb use, not that they can't be used for road...
There is actually a road version now. Just a different style lever and button.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Huh?

I guess I am thinking of the wrong DT skewers...

Roughly 55 bucks PER SKEWER compared to the KCNC for 75 per pair. And I do not see an external cam here...

I have a couple friends that got these (above photo) on new (mountain) bikes. They clamp well, but they are a bit tough to get used too as they work clamp and release a bit differently than what I am used to. Compared to a lot of other skewers that cost less, weigh less, and work as well for road, I decided to give these a pass.
I have these and I love them!

·
Registered
52 Posts
anyone else have the Road bike RWS DT Swiss skewers?
Any feedback?
Thanks...
I have used them for six months. They came with a Mon Chasseral wheelset.
The lever is like a closed box wrench. It is plastic and I stripped it and had it replaced by DT Swiss. When not engaged, the lever is held off the gear by a spring. The spring does not provide much tension and the lever(s) vibrates and rattles quite loudly. I had to put a piece of frame protector material on the fork and chainstay, then always position the levers tensioned against the fork or frame. They do cinch down well and the wheels stay tight. They weigh 94g on my scale for the pair.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Silly gadgets IMO. Buy some Campy or Dura Ace skewers and be done with it. There are no better skewers on the market period.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Giant sell DT Swiss (rebadged) skewers for use on all their carbon dropout bikes.

I switched to Dura Ace and no end of problems occurred thereafter.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
Giant sell DT Swiss (rebadged) skewers for use on all their carbon dropout bikes.

I switched to Dura Ace and no end of problems occurred thereafter.
That's very, very odd. Shimano & Campy, as well as the internal cam Bontrager skewers are generally the strongest, most problem free skewers...period.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts