Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have noticed, I've been sitting on the fence for a few months now wrt gearing. I live in Portland and am prepping for Cross Crusade races. I've done ok in the few races I've entered with 38/46 12-27 gearing.

At the moment, I'm putting Campy on my Redline Conquest, 13-26 cogs, and have a Centaur UT CT crank (yeah, i know.)

I'm debating about which combo of 36-38-39 x 46-48 is optimal(?)...

Any advice, as always, is most appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Currently on the training bike; 38/45 12-26

Disclaimer: Crusade races are too big for me (crowds). I prefer the smaller races, so for perspective;

Hood river- More than enough gearing for the climb back to the start/finish.
Gresham- A 34 would have been useful here. The mud was thick. I was worn out by the 38.
Pshyco cross- Tough call. The first course had alot of climb. I was out of gas by the end of the race. The second course was alot easier, I felt like I could've pushed a 38.

I don't know if any of this will help, just more information......I have been working hard all winter and feel like I can push the 45 / 12-26 combo through just about anything, and am seriously considering the single ring setup with a 42. I think the simplicity and weight savings are worth it. Oddly enough, I've got a 46 on my race bike now and sometimes have a hard time pushing it. 45 seem to be as much as I can muster on the training rides?

Best of luck! I've got rings if you'd like to try various combos. Currently onhand and not being used:

5-bolt 110 34, 38
5-bolt 130 44

I'll send you a ring or two if you think you can use them, they are just sitting around the shop.

B

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
I ran 38/46 for a while and thought it was great. Now I run 38/44 and think it's the cat's pajamas. I stay in the 44 for most races. Horning's was the exception.

As you might have figured out, I race the Cross Crusade too. I race 35+ A and never wished I had some more top end. When Skerrit and Decker lapped me at Barton, I was able to hang just fine with the 44 on the paved section. My legs didn't cooperate after we got off the pavement and I got dropped pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
39/46 rings with a 12-25 cassette. Works everywhere. I'm in the 46t ring the whole time at all but a few of our norcal courses. I may try running a 12-23 for the closer gearing on some courses this year.

·
Registered
635 Posts
wunlap togo said:
39/46 rings with a 12-25 cassette. Works everywhere. I'm in the 46t ring the whole time at all but a few of our norcal courses. I may try running a 12-23 for the closer gearing on some courses this year.
yeah, but your a BEAST josh! :)

you coming up for StarCrossed & Rad GP?

·
Cyclocross is Seasonal?
711 Posts
I'm going back to a double after many seasons of single-ringdom.

one bike has a 36/46, the other has a 38/46. 12-25 in the back for most courses.

I dropped down to a single 40 tooth ring after I hurt my leg last year and found I was just as mediocre with the smaller gear as with the bigger. I'm thinking that I can keep the efficiency of the lower gears without sacrificing the top end on faster courses.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
DPCX said:
yeah, but your a BEAST josh! :)

you coming up for StarCrossed & Rad GP?
Ha ha, not really! We just have a lot of flat and dry races around here.

I think I am coming up for the portland USGP weekend, but that's it. I almost wish I could afford to travel a bit more this year, I feel like I'm on track to be really good this fall. The races around here are so much fun though, I'll just keep things low key and only travel to that OR weekend and Nat's.

I hope you guys are good, maybe I'll see you in OR and KC!

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
djmungbeanz said:
But you know, my 48 ring came in handy at the flat Hillsboro course, especially the paved section.
But were you in the 48x12? I rode the 38/44 with a 12x27 there and didn't feel under geared.

Shoot, I was taking it to people on the paved slight downhill at the USGP at PIR too.

A 48 is too big.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I ran 42 x 12-27 last season. Wanted a lower gear for maybe three or four sections of different courses throughout the year, but basically muscled through them. Never wanted a higher gear, even during a one-up sprint on flat pavement.

If there were ever a section of a course where you could actually spin out a 48/12 gear, seems like you'd be better off just giving your legs a bit of a rest....

·
Hup, Hup
392 Posts
I'm running a 39/46 on front with a 13-26 cassette and it works out pretty well. I had considered a 42 single up front too but, the 46 works well for the flat courses and can also pull gravel duty during the winter months

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
38x46 with a 12x27 last yr. I'm switching to a 12x26 this yr. Think I used the 46x12 for 1 race last yr, so I may go with a 13x26 if I can find one in a Sram 10 speed....

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Gripped. It seems like 44 is a good way to go. I honestly can't remember spending much time in my 46 during any given race, save for Hillsboro..

Seeing I'll have Campy on my bike, 39/44 may be the ticket.

Gripped said:
I ran 38/46 for a while and thought it was great. Now I run 38/44 and think it's the cat's pajamas. I stay in the 44 for most races. Horning's was the exception.

As you might have figured out, I race the Cross Crusade too. I race 35+ A and never wished I had some more top end. When Skerrit and Decker lapped me at Barton, I was able to hang just fine with the 44 on the paved section. My legs didn't cooperate after we got off the pavement and I got dropped pretty quick.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.