Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm training for my first Duathlon in about 8 weeks (a run, bike, then another run). I have raced both road and mountain bikes a few times before, and have run many road, trail and mountain races- but never raced both sports together. When doing "bricks" in training I've changed from my running shorts into cycling shorts and vice versa when mixing it up, as I find the bike shorts are really uncomfortable to run in with that pad between your legs. I could ride in running shorts even without the padding, but they billow out and catch the wind like crazy, not to mention they'd probebly chafe. Are there any shorts out there that are good for duathlons?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tri Shorts

Hey Bender,

I would recommend you wear some Tri Shorts. These are bike shorts with a pad designed to be comfortable while swimming and running. The link below is to a site with several different brands and is a shop that I have received excellent service from.

http://www.trisports.com/mensracing.html

Good luck with your Du!

David

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fashion Sense!

armychemguy said:
Hey Bender,

I would recommend you wear some Tri Shorts. These are bike shorts with a pad designed to be comfortable while swimming and running. The link below is to a site with several different brands and is a shop that I have received excellent service from.

http://www.trisports.com/mensracing.html

Good luck with your Du!

David

Having shorts with a mini shami is what you are looking for. Available as a short, bib or even a full 1 piece. Mini Shamis are suitable for the ride, but importantly are comfortable to run with. You can also swim with them.

While on the topic, remember that your attached number needs to be visible. So keep the number on the outer most layer of your top, preferably without having to change it. It's not alot of fun to go through the paces of a race and not have your time/splits recorded,been there!

·
Registered
164 Posts
In my first duathlon, I wore my oldest pair of biking shorts. The chamois was pretty worn out, which made them perfect for running because of how thin the chamois was.

If you think you'll be doing more du's in the future, definitely invest in tri-shorts. If you're just trying it out to see if you like it, save the $40 and make 'du' with bike shorts. Personally, unless the pad is really bulky, I don't really notice it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts