Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first Duathlon coming up on sept 25! I'm a little bit of a runner so i dont know when is better push the runs and easier on the bike or go easy on the first run then push the rest? The distances are 2mi run (beach run) 13.25bike (road) 3mi run (road).

Some tips would be great! oh i'm almost 25, and i just ran boston in april in 3:04, so the training is mostly running 5-8mile 4-5 days a week with a 10mile bike every 3ish days a week. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, figured it was better to let you know my background verses saying hey...i need a duathlon training plan....just new to the biking aspect, some help would be great!

Oh and i'm 5'11" and 145lbs and green eyes! haha

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I would start the first run at a 10K sort of pace. On the bike, I would push something like a 40K TT pace, you want to go fast but realize that you need to run a fast three miles afterwards. On the last run, don't start too fast, I've found that I can get a sort of irrational burst of running speed out of T2 that quickly fades.

You want your overall level of effort to be pretty constant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah thanks! now when it come to what to wear do you run in the same top that you ride in?
Odd question sorry, just because i usually run with out one...didnt know where my number would go?

·
Pandesal Peddler
146 Posts
TriJustin said:
I have my first Duathlon coming up on sept 25! I'm a little bit of a runner so i dont know when is better push the runs and easier on the bike or go easy on the first run then push the rest? The distances are 2mi run (beach run) 13.25bike (road) 3mi run (road).

Some tips would be great! oh i'm almost 25, and i just ran boston in april in 3:04, so the training is mostly running 5-8mile 4-5 days a week with a 10mile bike every 3ish days a week. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!
Boston Marathon??

This duathlon will be a cake walk for you. Your running a 7 min mile and based on your specs you are light with some height.

First 5k in 21-24 min
Bike 22K 40min
Last 5K in 24-30 min

Do the math you have time to chat

Cutoff is usually 1:45 at last 5k

Bottom line have fun.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup Boston Marathon, I did one the year before in 2:54:48...Different training ideas didnt work! haha

This one is in Biddeford, ME

2mi (beach run)
Cant wait to do this Duathlon, seems like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
TriJustin said:
Ah thanks! now when it come to what to wear do you run in the same top that you ride in?
Odd question sorry, just because i usually run with out one...didnt know where my number would go?
If it were me I'd use a race belt and have the number backwards while on the bike. On a sprint du, you don't want to be changing anything but your shoes, if those:
http://will-clarke.com/national-duathlon-champs-silver/

·
Registered
328 Posts
With a duathlon you can save a ton of time with super short transitions. Wear a race belt or pin your number on prior to the race start.

At T1 have your bike shoes clipped in with rubber bands (if you wear bike shoes). The only thing that goes on is your helmet, and then run with your bike out of T1. Coming into T2 take your feet out of your shoes and ride with them on top of the bike shoes - then jump off and be running. By doing these two things you can save quite a lot of time.

You can make up quite a lot of time in transition, which most people don't do. A lot of people actually view transitions as rest periods - don't do that! With your running abilities, your 5K times should be around the 20 min mark. Not sure about your bike speed, though.

I'm doing a duathlon in Scituate, MA in October that's 2 miles, 12 miles, 2.7 miles. I'm hoping to be right at the 1 hour mark for time in this race.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts