Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to be in Dubuque for a few days in May and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good rides.

I plan on bringin the fixie because it seems pretty flat.

Thanks for any help.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
last time i was in dubuque it seemed relatively hilly. well, for iowa.
i would contact the TOMRV people and see what they use around dubuque. looks like you get get some elevation, but nothing like boulder.

http://www.qcbc.org/tomrv/options.htm

go to east dubuque for alcohol. ask about "the strip" and someone will get you there. hopefully the pharmacy still has footlong chili cheese dogs. nothin says 2 am bar food like a foot long chilicheese dog from a pharmacy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The technical term is "goin' East". IL bars are open later than IA bars on the weekends. Mulgrew's is the hot-dog place... haven't thought about that place in at least 6 years.

Re: the OP's question - Dubuque proper is pretty hilly - by midwestern standards. 10 or so miles west of town and you have the usual rolling IA hills. The IL side is pretty hilly until around Galina (maybe around 20 miles). I think a fixie might be a challenge... Wasn't on a road bike when I was there but there's bound to be good stuff.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Pablo said:
I need to be in Dubuque for a few days in May and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good rides.

I plan on bringin the fixie because it seems pretty flat.

Thanks for any help.
I've ridden Dubuque to Galena twice. The first time I was on my own so I just rode Hwy 20 there and back. That's not a great ride, but I did it at dawn on a Sunday so it wasn't that busy. Any other time I'd avoid it. The next time I did it was on a organizied tour down the Mississippi. We still had to ride Hwy 20 out of Dubuque, but they got us off ASAP . Looking at the map, I think we took Menominee Rd to Chetlain and back to Hwy 20 just short of Galena. Chetlain had some of the most challenging hills I've ridden.

I think it would be challenging to have a fixie in Dubuque regardless of which direction you choose to ride. There's a crushed limestone Rail to Trail out to Dyersville that would likely take you to the plains without a big climb to get there, but I've never ridden it. It's a pretty hilly area if you stay at all close to the river.

The Illinois side has "the great river road", follow the signs. It's pretty decent north out of East Dubuque, South, is Hwy 20, which isn't so great. Past Galena it's gets much better. Galena itself is worth the trip.

Scot

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
I've ridden Dubuque to Galena twice. The first time I was on my own so I just rode Hwy 20 there and back. That's not a great ride, but I did it at dawn on a Sunday so it wasn't that busy. Any other time I'd avoid it. The next time I did it was on a organizied tour down the Mississippi. We still had to ride Hwy 20 out of Dubuque, but they got us off ASAP . Looking at the map, I think we took Menominee Rd to Chetlain and back to Hwy 20 just short of Galena. Chetlain had some of the most challenging hills I've ridden.

I think it would be challenging to have a fixie in Dubuque regardless of which direction you choose to ride. There's a crushed limestone Rail to Trail out to Dyersville that would likely take you to the plains without a big climb to get there, but I've never ridden it. It's a pretty hilly area if you stay at all close to the river.

The Illinois side has "the great river road", follow the signs. It's pretty decent north out of East Dubuque, South, is Hwy 20, which isn't so great. Past Galena it's gets much better. Galena itself is worth the trip.

Scot
Most of Eastern IA near the Misssissippi is definately not the "corn fields" you're picturing. Hilly, green. Really cool area to ride IMO.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Take it from a Dubuquer...

There ain't any flat around here...the closest thing is an in-town ride, and that's not too advisable due to traffic. If you've got a 12-25, that should get you around the county fairly well, depending on your climbing ability.

Pick a direction...

North takes you along the Great River Road through Sageville, Sherill, Balltown, and beyond to Guttenburg. You're riding along the bluffs along the Mississippi with many a larger hill to test your climbing ability.

West is Sundown Ski Area, Graf, Bankston, Epworth, Farley, and Dyersville. Some flatter stretches, but still plenty of ups and downs. This area is more open than the others. Ther Heritage Trail heads in this direction. It's an old railway bed done in pea gravel, with no more than 1-2 percent grade along the way.

South has the Mines of Spain recreation area, Massey Station, and a few whopper hills.

East actually is into Wisconsin/Illinois. A good starting point is the Wisconsin welcome Center off Hwy 151 just after the bridge. The county roads are generally in rather good shape and have relatively light traffic.

A good resource is Free Flight Bikes http://www.freeflightbikes.com. A couple of local clubs are Chain Reaction http://www.chainreactioncycling.org and the Dubuque Bicycle Club http://www.dbqbike.org. They post schedules of upcoming rides. CR rides tend to be faster paced, and DBC rides are a bit more leisurely, but no less challenging.

When exactly are you going to be in town?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.