Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not all that big a fan on the ducks around here-at least not the ones that live here year round.

They are agressive, messy and they eat the native vegitation faster than it can recover (ducks are supposed to migrate-the ones that don't aren't native to the area but were brought in by hunters as lures for the migrating ones).

At any rate they are here so I've got photos of them.

In the last picture there are no ducks just the mess they leave behind.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Big deal

Great photos, thankyou very much. However ducks are no big deal. We have geese and I can assure you any one goose can out crap any ten ducks you can put up against it. All the goslings have about fledged here and are about as big as the adults but are still hanging with mom and pop. Today on my way home there was a flock that just came out of one of the lakes I ride by and I had to stop to count them. No exageration, there were thirty two geese in an area about half the size of an average driveway, Verrry messy.
Anyway thanks for the pictures, well done. I am jealous of those views.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Nice pics MB. I'm sorry you have such ill feeling toward those cute little, defenseless ducks that never hurt anyone, that did'nt ask to be born, and that add beauty to this sometimes ugly world we live in, and that did'nt charge you $20 bucks to take their picture.

:D :D

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alas, I don't even know how to use Photo Shop.

Pretty much all I do to post images on the internet is to resize and crop the things. I pretty much do everything in the camera.

What I saw is what you get.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My revenge of course is Kung Pao Duck.

croswell1 said:
..... I'm sorry you have such ill feeling toward those cute little, defenseless ducks that never hurt anyone, that did'nt ask to be born, and that add beauty to this sometimes ugly world we live in, and that did'nt charge you $20 bucks to take their picture.
:D :D
Peking duck is pretty good too.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Not just messy and sometimes aggressive, but dumb....I think every goose between SoCal and Canada must have migrated to the artificial lake in Encino, and they are everywhere--but usually on the bike paths. Want to improve your low-speed handling? Try threading your way through these waddling pillows-to-be without crashing or dabbing. I just love that utterly blank look they give you as they stand rooted to one spot, the idea of yielding never entering their minds.

I think MB1 has the right idea about a goose's greatest potential....:arf: :thumbsup:

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Quack!!

Thanks. We always had a two or three pairs of ducks on the swimming pond next to my house while I was growing up. They ate out of our hand and helped keep down the vegetation around the edge of the pond. They hatched babies right around 4th of July and when the babies got almost full grown we would give them away. I am sure more than one of them ended up in orange sauce on someone's table.

Now I totally agree that geese are a nusance. They poop as much as a dog and are a whole lot noisier and meaner. Luckily I was moved out by the time my dad decided to keep a couple geese.

·
Registered
198 Posts
No longer one of nature's rare sights

bigrider said:
Resident Geese are nothing more than lawn rats.
The majestic Canada Goose, nature's signal in the fall of the impending winter and her harbinger of warmer weather to come when the graceful vee's are spotted on their migration north. The regal, wary, and sometimes elusive Canda Goose, aka Sky Carp.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
gotmilk? said:
The majestic Canada Goose, nature's signal in the fall of the impending winter and her harbinger of warmer weather to come when the graceful vee's are spotted on their migration north. The regal, wary, and sometimes elusive Canda Goose, aka Sky Carp.
AMEN!:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
250 years ago DC was a swamp (aka "Wetlands")

wooglin said:
There's "native vegetation" in the reflecting pool? :D
The ducks and geese sleep and poop on the reflecting pool and fly off every morning to devastate the local flora. Any eating they do around the mall is just minor snacking.

For the last few years the Army Corps of Engineers and a bunch of local dogooders have tried to restore some of the natural habitat. They have worked really hard and spent tons of money.

Alas PETA and another bunch of local dogooders won't let the first groups kill off the non-native geese and ducks who eat up the wetlands just a bit quicker than they can be restored.

If it wasn't so humorous it would be tragic; not my problem since it is mostly your tax dollars at play (for every tax dollar raised in the district 6 more are poured in by the feds (thank you, thank you very much!)).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.