Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
cyclocross junkie
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have an opinion on how Dugast Rhino 34's would be suited to mid-atlantic 'cross?
I'm guessing they would do well here.

Where might I locate these beaut's?

I know it's only June, but these could be hard to find so I'm starting my search early.

It sounds like cyclocrossworld and eurocyclingimports are outta stock.

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
I race most Mid atlantic races, the Grifo 32 are nice but the side wall is thin, the maxxis larson/mimo are also good, nice rubber, good sidewall contact, decent in some mud and rides nice on grassy off camber stuff. My complaint about the Mich muds is that they are wicked slow on the pavement, most Mid atlantic races seems to have a small grade incline paved start/finish.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
kannas said:
I race most Mid atlantic races, the Grifo 32 are nice but the side wall is thin, the maxxis larson/mimo are also good, nice rubber, good sidewall contact, decent in some mud and rides nice on grassy off camber stuff. My complaint about the Mich muds is that they are wicked slow on the pavement, most Mid atlantic races seems to have a small grade incline paved start/finish.
Oh, come now! Races like Wissahicon, Granogue (in that mud? Rhino 34s would be perfect!), Lower Allen/ Westra classic with all the off camber grass... These are all races with a paved start/finish (as per UCI rules) which rarely decides the race, except for in a sprint. Maybe the regular tread dugast tire for the Highland Park races, there really is a lot of pavement there. Cross races are won in the corners, especially as conditions get messy. Most of the bigger east coast races are fine for supple, thin tires. If the original poster is ready to step up to the plate and get the best tubular that money can buy, but the question is which of the 2 tread patterns to get- I'd say get the Rhino tread, it's ultimate.

·
cyclocross junkie
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes!

Yeah, I'm ready. I've been running Tufos for a couple of seasons. They've been good for grassy, dry courses but when it gets slick or off-camber I'm experiencing a lot of wheel drift. The benefit is that my bike handling has really improved and I feel comfortable when I lose traction, but that's not the fastest way to get around the track.

At Granogue, for example, I really had trouble holding a line on the slightest off-camber.

Surprisingly, the Tufos seemed to work ok at Natz during the 35-39 rain/sleet/snow/wiiiiiind sufferfest. But that's probably because the ground was refreezing as the race went on. Or maybe I just didn't know any better in my hypothermic state...but I sure felt like I was hooking up on the course and really flowing.

So, I'm ready to make the investment in some primo tires as I think that the improved performance will be well worth it.

Now, the issue is actually finding someplace that will sell them to me.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
cbass said:
Yeah, I'm ready. I've been running Tufos for a couple of seasons. They've been good for grassy, dry courses but when it gets slick or off-camber I'm experiencing a lot of wheel drift. The benefit is that my bike handling has really improved and I feel comfortable when I lose traction, but that's not the fastest way to get around the track.

At Granogue, for example, I really had trouble holding a line on the slightest off-camber.

Surprisingly, the Tufos seemed to work ok at Natz during the 35-39 rain/sleet/snow/wiiiiiind sufferfest. But that's probably because the ground was refreezing as the race went on. Or maybe I just didn't know any better in my hypothermic state...but I sure felt like I was hooking up on the course and really flowing.

So, I'm ready to make the investment in some primo tires as I think that the improved performance will be well worth it.

Now, the issue is actually finding someplace that will sell them to me.
Always keep an eye on ebay too, you just never know what you'll find. Probably not rhino's but other dugasts from time to time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.