Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old pc with a small hard drive (not c0de). i want to delete some crap to free up some room. I have an awful lot of java updates when looking at the add or remove programs thing. can i delete older ones with out causing an issue? they all seem about the same size file.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
You might be better off rummaging through all your user folders and deleting Temp files. That, and you probably have a TON of uninstall folders in your Windows folder for Windows updates. You can ditch those, too.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Sometimes I find it better to copy over the data to another hard drive and then either format the hard drive and install the OS or reinstall the OS and format it. This way you wipe out all the crap.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
lawrence said:
Sometimes I find it better to copy over the data to another hard drive and then either format the hard drive and install the OS or reinstall the OS and format it. This way you wipe out all the crap.
That sounds a bit advanced for someone who is looking to clear some space on the hd.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
right click on "Recycle Bin" and then left click on "Empty Recycle Bin"

in related news, i bought a belkin "N" rated wireless router today and i am on my back porch poasting this.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yeah your right. You gotta back up though because when you remove programs, many programs share files of other programs and when you delete those programs, other programs don't work so you have to back up because you may find yourself reinstalling some programs or going back and doing what I said, reformatting your hard drive. One time I had to F-disk the hard drive and then reformatted it.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
If you really want more space, but a new, bigger hard drive, and IDE drive that will be compatible with your older computer. hard drives are cheap these days. Install that in a second bay in your tower.

Download the trial version of Acronis True Image, make a ghost image of your old hard drive to the new drive, make it the bootable drive, make sure everything works ok, then re-format the old drive and use it for extra storage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts