Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see these pro mechanics literally open the skewer and rip the wheel out how tight does the skewer need to be? mine aren't overly tight to me but I still have to unscrew the skewer nut on the drive side to take the wheel off...

was just curious is it the way their bikes are setup, different skewers?

what happens if its too loose, and if its too tight?

Chad

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
General rule of thumb I learned was that when you close it, it should leave a little bit of an imprint on your palm. As for having to unscrew, that's probably on your fork and you probably have lawyer tabs there to keep an improperly attached wheel from falling off. Pros either don't have them or file them off.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wooglin said:
General rule of thumb I learned was that when you close it, it should leave a little bit of an imprint on your palm. As for having to unscrew, that's probably on your fork and you probably have lawyer tabs there to keep an improperly attached wheel from falling off. Pros either don't have them or file them off.
interesting thanks:blush2:

Chad

·
eRacer
2,547 Posts
Front QR can be medium tight.
Rear needs to be fairly snug to prevent wheel shift when hard peddling.

If you do much riding, I would suggest filing the Tabs ('Lawyer's Lips') off of the fork drops. They are for security, but make wheel removal for a flat a real pain. Without them, you just open the QR, no nut screwing, and when you put wheel back in, just tighten QR back to what it was.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmlapoint said:
Front QR can be medium tight.
Rear needs to be fairly snug to prevent wheel shift when hard peddling.

If you do much riding, I would suggest filing the Tabs ('Lawyer's Lips') off of the fork drops. They are for security, but make wheel removal for a flat a real pain. Without them, you just open the QR, no nut screwing, and when you put wheel back in, just tighten QR back to what it was.
yeah I just found a thread about it when I searched "lawyer tabs" I think its something I'm going to do not because I need super fast wheel changes but the convenience of taking the front wheel off to put in the car is worth it alone. I ALWAYS seem to drop the nut and therefore the spring falls:(

my new AlphaQ fork has them but after looking at it seems easy to file off by hand.

Chad

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
wooglin said:
General rule of thumb I learned was that when you close it, it should leave a little bit of an imprint on your palm. You don't need to take the nut all the way off to clear the tabs. Five turns does it on mine, though yours may differ.
Wooglin is so right on... Literally I count five spins on the quick release when taking off a wheel. The imprint thing too, right on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.