Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was out pedaling last night I saw three different people in those dumb finger shoes jogging. Totally stupid. Running shoes work pretty well, which is why everyone wears them. Save your breath if you want to tell me how great they are. I don't buy it. They are a stupid fad dreamed up to make money from dipshite yuppies.

I got to thinking about dumb athletic gear fads and realized there are a bunch of them. Here is what I came up with, feel free to add your own.

- slipper running shoes
- the rocker/bouncy walking shoes for fat people
- those idiotic leggings that NBA players have starter wearing
- only slightly less stupid, the arm sleeves of basketball players

All of these are just gimmicks.

·
Tactle-neck
865 Posts
nayr497 said:
While I was out pedaling last night I saw three different people in those dumb finger shoes jogging. Totally stupid. Running shoes work pretty well, which is why everyone wears them. Save your breath if you want to tell me how great they are. I don't buy it. They are a stupid fad dreamed up to make money from dipshite yuppies.

I got to thinking about dumb athletic gear fads and realized there are a bunch of them. Here is what I came up with, feel free to add your own.

- slipper running shoes
- the rocker/bouncy walking shoes for fat people
- those idiotic leggings that NBA players have starter wearing
- only slightly less stupid, the arm sleeves of basketball players

All of these are just gimmicks.

You sound pretty set in your ways...So I will be brief. My knee pain went away after I started using the "slipper running shoes", and they are downright fun to run in...:thumbsup:

Read "Born to Run" by Chris Mcdougall.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
soup...that just made my day!

My new motto:
"Fatty to fabulous"!

I don't have a t.v. so I miss lots of these new fads. Awesome. I had seen the shake weight though. I want to write a comprehensive history of informercials one day soon.

Everyday carbon wheels. GREAT inclusion. "Yeah, I need these for the bike path...gotta roll faster on my 13 mile ride."

And right on, bikes are surely a fad. I'm waiting for them to go out of style so I can be unique by riding mine:)

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Chuck Taylors worked "pretty well" for runners for a while--that's why everybody wore them. You going back? Argument fail.

That said, there are tons of stupid exercise fads, and in my opinion minimalist footwear is relatively low on the list.

Oval chainrings.
Any machine that makes an exercise easier--what's the point? Isn't exercise supposed to be hard?
Going to the gym for anything but weights (maybe more permissible in the winter).
Baseball

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe, I'm glad your knee pain has gone away.

However, the only thing I can imagine that is worse than running...is reading about running. I'll take your word for it:)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And baseball is an incredible addition to the list. I truly, truly hate baseball. Played by big, juiced up dummies who can hardly move, takes so long to finish, and has a position where a guy sits on the bench for just about all of the game.

It is truly the American sport because there are so many statistics that is allows one to precisely calculate how many millions one should be paid.

The love for baseball is the same reason why 'Murcans don't like soccer...there aren't enough stats.

I sat through hours of a cricket match one time in Australia. It was fun to see in person, once, but is just about as terrible as baseball.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
FeedTheJoe said:
You sound pretty set in your ways...So I will be brief. My knee pain went away after I started using the "slipper running shoes", and they are downright fun to run in...:thumbsup:

Read "Born to Run" by Chris Mcdougall.
Ditto for my wife.

She had really bad knee pain running before the silly finger shoes, was worried she'd never be able to run again. Now, she's back to running a couple nights a week.

Sooooooo, to each their own. Your "silly trend" is someone else's lifesaver.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Gravity Boots. Remember those things? Put up a bar in a doorway, put on the boots, hook them up to the bar and you hang there. Crazy stuff.

I met a guy who became a quadraplegic when he broke his neck using those things. The bar wasn't installed correctly, it dislodged when he was hanging there, he fell just a couple inches right on his head and snapped his neck. He lived for about 20 years after that accident but ended up dying relatively young due to complications related to his quadraplegia. Sad.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
exercise---fad

1 - 20 of 71 Posts