Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, time for my dumb question of the day...I'm looking into getting a work stand to help out with some general maintenance. Most of the stands seem to have a small clamp that looks like it would attach to ither the top tube or the deat post. Which is the recommended method?

Thanks!
Joe

· Registered
830 Posts
JoeB said:
OK, time for my dumb question of the day...I'm looking into getting a work stand to help out with some general maintenance. Most of the stands seem to have a small clamp that looks like it would attach to ither the top tube or the deat post. Which is the recommended method?

Thanks!
Joe
seatpost is best place to clamp, otherwise ya might crimp whatever tube you clamp to.. most do open pretty wide though.

· So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
I don't think clamping to a carbon seat post is recommended -- potential cracking.

Clamping to an aluminum seat tube having a carbon seat post, however, is OK.

I also wrap a clean soft rag around whatever tube I'm clamping, to avoid cosmetic scratching.

If in doubt, always better to err on under-tightening the workstand's clamp around any tube.

· still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Any specific recommendations on a workstand? Surprisingly big selection and price range... I just don't want to end up buying two of them (the el-cheapo wrong one, followed by the right one).

How about the one I saw in one of the catalogs that holds the bottom bracket? Since this is the only one I've seen and it's about half price, I'm guessing this would fall into the "wrong" category...

· So. Calif.
2,861 Posts
Arginine said:
If that is true, then what are you supposed to do if all of the bike's tubes are carbon?
I've been told to remove the carbon seat post from the carbon bike, insert a temporary aluminum seat post, then clamp to the Al seat post.

But since none of my bikes are carbon-framed, I don't know for a fact if this is overkill or not ... it certainly seems time-consuming, at best.

I'd get the bike Mfr's recommendation -- if they give you one -- which they may not, as it might put them on the hook.

Gently snugging the workstand clamp seems prudent.

· Registered
642 Posts
Those pro stands are really nice, but they are not cheap.
I could justify the expense of a pro stand if I were taking bike on and off the stand all day - like a pro mechanic. Depending on the weather and how dirty my bike gets, I probably have my bike in the stand twice a month.

I got the park tool home mechanic for about half the price of a pro stand. It's heavy and doesn't transport easily, but I only use it a couple of times a month so it's not a big deal.

· still shedding season
8,849 Posts
After looking to see how big and heavy a good stand was, I decided not to pay shipping on it... The LBS had this one for $30 less than online, so that's what I went with.

Thanks for the help, now back to your regularly scheduled discussion...

· I'm workin' on it....
255 Posts
really doubt you need to crank the clamp to hold onto a 20 lb bike, to the point of cracking carbon seatpost or frame.
My thoughts exactly. I have my Orca on the work stand about once to twice a week, clamped by the carbon seatpost. Over the course of the year I've had the bike, I've noticed no problems with the seatpost. Would suck big time to have it suddenly esplode, though. Wonder if anyone's actually damaged their carbon seatpost from clamping there?:confused:

· Registered
473 Posts
My concern about clamping to the seat post is that it's well behind the center of gravity of the bike, so you're cantilevering a lot of weight off of it, which is a load that it wasn't designed for; it usually takes more of a compression load as opposed to bending. That said, it's probably no problem for an aluminum tube, but I don't have enough experience with carbon to trust it.

Fortunately, both of my bikes and my wife's bike are aluminum-framed, so I clamp onto the seat tube. It seems a lot meatier and you really don't have to clamp down on it all that tightly.

BTW, my stand is an Ultimate Pro Elite that I got on sale at REI for about $120 (old model going out), and shipping was free since I had it delivered to the local REI store.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.