Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a specialized allez triple 08. It came with sora shiftlevers. My back one works fine, but my front one sucks. I would guess I have put around 200 mi on it. If I get a tune up will that help my front one, or is it just so low in the food chain it just cant get any better?

Also, here is the dumb question... Is there anyway to upgrade my front one and keep the back one the same? :blush2: :mad2:

Thanks.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Jstaylor said:
Ok I have a specialized allez triple 08. It came with sora shiftlevers. My back one works fine, but my front one sucks. I would guess I have put around 200 mi on it. If I get a tune up will that help my front one, or is it just so low in the food chain it just cant get any better?

Also, here is the dumb question... Is there anyway to upgrade my front one and keep the back one the same? :blush2: :mad2:

Thanks.
If you only have 200 miles on your bike the shifting problems are most likely due to cable stretch. The front derailleur may also need small adjustments made. Both issues are common and should be remedied with a tune up. And yes, you can upgrade your left shifter only.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Sora triple FD is not so great, but the only way to really improve it would be to upgrade both the FD and the shifter. I upgraded from Sora to 105 (triple), and it made a huge difference in chainring shifting performance. I was constantly fiddling with my Sora cable adjuster to get it to shift halfway decent but not rub in certain gear combos; the 105 shifts very positively with no interference problems.

One difference is that the 105 shifter actually has 4 positions so you can "trim" the position on the center chainring (where I spend most of my time) so that it doesn't rub when moving from the inside sprockets to the outer sprockets.

You might be able to improve things by just changing the front derailleur, which is a lot cheaper than new shifters, but you're still going to suffer from lack of adjustability.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
What does it do wrong?

Jstaylor said:
sora shiftlevers. My back one works fine, but my front one sucks..
"Sucks" is a little vague. Tell us what problem you're having and somebody might be able to advise you on correcting it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sounds like normal cable stretch that happens with a new bike.

You can either take it to your LBS and have them tighten the cable, or ask these guys to tell you how to do it yourself.

I had the same problem with my rear derailer. These guys showed me what knob I needed to turn to tighten it back up, and once I made the correct adjustment, it was back to clean shifting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JCavilia said:
"Sucks" is a little vague. Tell us what problem you're having and somebody might be able to advise you on correcting it.
It basically just doesn't want to shift for me. I spend most of my time just using the back one anyways, but when im going up steep hills I would like to have my front one also.

So it is ok to have a tune up at about 200 mi? I get 2 tune up free so I guess I might as well use them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Jstaylor said:
It basically just doesn't want to shift for me. I spend most of my time just using the back one anyways, but when im going up steep hills I would like to have my front one also.

So it is ok to have a tune up at about 200 mi? I get 2 tune up free so I guess I might as well use them.

Thanks.
You mean it won't shift into the smaller rings at all? Then something is seriously out of adjustment or hung up. Something needs to be fixed, and it's probably an easy job. Take it to the shop. Probably take 5 minutes.

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
Jstaylor said:
Alright I will probally go sometime this week and get a tune up. But for right now I will just ride some more.
Don't just drop the bike off and say 'Here's my bike for the free tune up.' Specify what the problem is so it's on the work order and the wrench knows what's happening. Sometimes stuff happens on the road that won't show up in a workstand, even though the problem you describe probably will.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI: Had the same problem with my allez the day I picked it up. Made one shift from the small chainring to the big one and then it wouldn't shift again. Brought it back to LBS the next day and they had it fixed within five minutes. They said it was just normal cable-stretch.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
2slow2content said:
FYI: Had the same problem with my allez the day I picked it up. Made one shift from the small chainring to the big one and then it wouldn't shift again. Brought it back to LBS the next day and they had it fixed within five minutes. They said it was just normal cable-stretch.
I think they lied. :eek:
If all you did was shift once to the outer chainring and you couldn't shift to the inner, the cable wouldn't have had enough use to stretch that much. It sounds more like the cable slipped at the f/ der cable fixing plate and had insufficient tension to shift in. Just my 2 cents. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.