Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this next to someone's trash can & I would like to make it road-worthy enough to ride a couple of miles to the grocery store & back. Where is a good place to start for spare parts? Harris? I'm thinking new tubes/tires, a wheel truing, cassette & chain, some rust remover for the brake calipers (among other things), new brake levers, maybe some snazzy grips with streamers on the ends...

It probably needs a Brooks saddle, too :D

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I found this next to someone's trash can & I would like to make it road-worthy enough to ride a couple of miles to the grocery store & back. Where is a good place to start for spare parts? Harris? I'm thinking new tubes/tires, a wheel truing, cassette & chain, some rust remover for the brake calipers (among other things), new brake levers, maybe some snazzy grips with streamers on the ends...

It probably needs a Brooks saddle, too :D
score...probably a new chain and lots of oil from the looks of it. You can true the wheels well enough. I wouldn't worry much about the other rust, just sand it off the best you can.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
tire/tubes, chain and freewheel, maybe cables.

try the local bike shop that's been around forever and used to sell lawnmowers too and now mostly does BMX bikes and beach cruisers.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
My brother had a Sears "Free Spirit" "10 speed'. It was a tank as well.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Nuttin' like a Sears Free Spirit
26, 27, or 700c ???
Steel or aluminum rims ?
If the spokes are galvanized steel, you'll probably have to cut them out.

Check with your "old" friends. Everybody usually has a pile of "junk" that's gathering dust.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Streamers and a bell. Maybe one of those fancy ones from velo-orange. And a basket, seriously.

Quiet up the fenders with some leather washers. Hope you can salvage the wheels if they are 27s will be harder to find tires. Soak the freewheel for a couple days in solvent & clean up as best you can and regrease (or simply get a new one). Buff out the chrome with polishing compound and a buffing wheel. Get some 1200 grit silicon carbide sand paper and with warm water cut with Dawn dish detergent lightly sand out the rust and rough spots.

good luck
zac

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a plan... I think it needs elbow grease more than anything else! I'm gonna make it a total grocery getter with wire baskets & such. I live 2 miles from the grocery store, and I feel like a tool for driving there, but none of my bikes are made to haul stuff, and I can't fit 3-4 days worth of groceries in a messenger bag.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Harris is a great resource for bikes like that where you're not sure of some of the sizes. I restored my dad's old '70s AMF Westpoint which was a few steps down from yours, and it came out looking pretty good with new cables, pedals, brake pads, tubes and tires, some improvisation, and many hours spent cleaning and polishing.

Skip the rust remover until you've tried fine steel wool - you'd be amazed how easily much of that comes off. It polished up the chrome decently as well, so all I did after that was wash and dry. That was true for the crank, fenders, bars, wheels, anything steel.

I'm guessing it has 27" wheels....when I was working on my dad's I found that Nashbar had some good stuff like 27" tires and the pedals.

I think you'll be very happy how it eventually turns out with little more spent on it than time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My guess would be that bike was made by Puch, which makes it a fairly decent bike. I bought a similar one for my wife back in the early 70s and surprise, surprise, it made a really nice riding bike. If you use steel wool, get 0000 (the finest) and buff it out with auto body polishing compound. I think you got yourself a deal.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
The basket needs a top. Otherwise, the chickens can escape too easily!

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
RAD!

I wouldn't futz with the spokes unless it really needs it. If you need to, soak those nipples in penetrant for a few days... Other than that, bare bones to get it rideable... and ride!

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to catch the chickens first!

BTW- I just took the old chain and wheels off- upon closer inspection, it's got 26 x 1 3/8 rims, which makes it easier to find tires. The tubes looked nearly new and hold air just fine, so I'll probably head up to the shop tomorrow and get some new tires, cables and housing, and a chain. The brake pads/rim surfaces are pristine, the bearings seem to roll fine, and the wheels are true enough to not bother with. It looks like someone bought the bike and just kept it in the garage instead of riding it.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
BentChainring said:
RAD!

I wouldn't futz with the spokes unless it really needs it. If you need to, soak those nipples in penetrant for a few days... Other than that, bare bones to get it rideable... and ride!

i will refrain from commenting on this.

nice score, andrea.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Andrea138 said:
BTW- I just took the old chain and wheels off- upon closer inspection, it's got 26 x 1 3/8 rims, which makes it easier to find tires.
No, it will be much harder to find tires! I'd forgotten about that....that's the size mine took. Those 26x1-3/8 tires are NOT compatible with standard 26" mt. bike tires.

Look here, and scroll down to the rims with a bead size of 590mm: http://sheldonbrown.com/rim-sizing.html

Here's Harris's page selling those size tires: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/590.html

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Seriously?! Damn! I figured that all 26" rims were compatible with tires made for 26" rims! Guess I need to place an order!

Edit: I promised myself I would not spend excessive amounts of money on this, but...

:mad2: All black for $20.00 (or less for non-Schwalbe!) or Creme/reflective sidewall for $27.99? Gawd I hate my expensive taste... I'm so conflicted right now!

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Awesome tires.

Go with the creme. They're classy. And they'll stay creme for at least one ride...

There has never been a bike more deserving of a magnesium saddle then the one you've got right there...

otherwise, there's these if you don't feel like spending brooks money...

http://www.velo-orange.com/vomo8spsa.html

Nice find. We expect ride reports. with pictures.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.