Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a Sears Roebuck Ted Williams road bike in the trash down the road. I checked it out and the only thing that's salvagable would be the frame. Based on the rust on the cranks, cogs, and wheels that may be a stretch. What do you guys think, worth saving or time to let it rust in peace?

·
Registered
450 Posts
How bad is the rest of the dumpster? If it's just boxes and stuff like that then go for it, you at least owe it to yourself to pull off the components and see what the frame's actually like in there. If the dupster's full of nasty decomposing things then you'll probably want to hold off, there are always deals ou there, better to not require a shower (a mandatory one anyway) to (maybe) get one.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Before I actually built a bike up I would have said hell yeah.... now that I know better the time and cost of trying to rehab an old frame.... I would say let sleeping dogs lie, unless it has something special about it that speaks to you.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
jplatzner said:
I'd vote no. For 5-10 bucks you can get a much better bike at a garage sale or salvation army.
i wouldn't say they are that bad:rolleyes:

aren't these the 531 tubing frames built by puch or austro-daimler for sears?

i don't think i've ever seen a 531 bike at a garage sale recently nor any bike for that matter for $5-10 anywhere for sale.

·
Registered
813 Posts
i say do it, save a frame from death.

you can always throw it away later, or offer it up to the crowd at the fixed gear forum or here if you decide you dont want it.

jeremy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts