Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor just found this next to the garbage. Anyone know anything about it?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
It's a low end Columbia from the 70's.....Telltale signs are

1. stamped rear dropouts
2. stem mounted shifters
3. "suicide" bar top brake levers( they were called that because the handles would break off)

Fix it up and ride it...it would make a good coffee runner...

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Probably not a diamond in the rough--more likely just rough--late 70s bike boom production--stamped dropouts, 27x1.25 wheels, etc

Maybe Columbia Bikes--US maker of cruisers etc? Their FAQs have a serial number dating list--you could check.

On Craigslist in NYC someone would advertise it as "vintage" and try for $150--real value, beater bike to get around, gift for a friend whose poorer than you, or a Goodwill donation once it is running order to help the needy...

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K thanks guys..I'll leave the little man alone to enjoy his new ride. I think I might take the idea of the Coca Cola insignia and cover my huge chip with it.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
after posting the first time, I started to think about the Coca Cola memorabilia market--people are crazy for Coke stuff. So maybe worth something to those folks...

It would be interesting to know what campaign it was made for--and when.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
It's a low end Columbia from the 70's.....Telltale signs are

1. stamped rear dropouts
2. stem mounted shifters
3. "suicide" bar top brake levers( they were called that because the handles would break off)

Fix it up and ride it...it would make a good coffee runner...
Not to mention the one-piece crank.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
My Ciocc was a dumpster find by the guy who gave it to me, I'd fix it up and keep it as a beater bike, something to get groceries run to the corner store stuff like that. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts