Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

I just purchased a new Merckx Majestic with a 1" threaded Dura Ace headset. I'm wanting to switch to threadless and have read several references to an adaptor made by M:part that will allow me to use the headset with a threadless fork. I'm assuming it just replaces the upper threaded portion of the headset, but I can't find one anywhere. I can't find a website for M:part either, though I see they sell lots of small parts in the UK. It currently has a Profile stem adaptor to let me use threadless stems, but I want a threadless fork as well. Any suggestions other than just buying a new headset?

Thanks!

·
Registered
822 Posts
kid_dynamite said:
have read several references to an adaptor made by M:part that will allow me to use the headset with a threadless fork.
M:part??

Switching to a threadless fork will require a new headset... at least the top half anyway, cuz the bottom is the same for both types.

·
Registered
822 Posts
logbiter said:
M:part??

Switching to a threadless fork will require a new headset... at least the top half anyway, cuz the bottom is the same for both types.
Is the M:part you refer to the top cap & starnut?? if so, that's what you install in your threadless fork to preload the bearings. check parktool, if you have no idea what I'm talking about :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has to be more than a top cap, as it would have to replace the top half (threaded portion) of the headset. I'd never heard of M:part before either until now. Below is the reference to it that I found on several websites, non of which aparently carry this mythical adapter....

SHIMANO - DURA-ACE HP-7410 HEADSET

Features:
• Superior quality, precision-engineered Dura-Ace headset designed for durability and performance on the road
• Lightweight anodised aluminium locknut, cups and cones
• Sealed cartridge bearings for smooth running and low maintenance
• Dura-Ace polished finish and graphics
• Designed for threaded steerers, but can be used on threadless steerers with the M:part Adaptor
• Stack height: 37.6 mm
• Weight: 0.2lbs
ENGLISH Threaded

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
The Mapei team had t-less stems on their bikes with D/A headsets... I'd think that you could simply grind out the threads on the top cap you have now and go at it that way too. Since you found an alternative, why not try the free way first?

Star nuts, top caps, and bolts are all available at your LBS for very little $$

Just a thought

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about taking a dremel to it and smoothing out the threads, but since I can avoid destroying a nice headset for the cost of that adapter I'll lleave it be. I don't want to burn any bridges if for some reason I decide to go back to the threaded fork. One more odd part to throw in the bin!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
logbiter said:
hm, interesting. hope the a:dapter silver matches the DA. what fork you going with? I've never seen a magestic, got pics?:D

No decision on the fork yet, I may have to go with the unbranded nashbar carbon for $80. The Majestic is a Ti bike actually made by Litespeed but with Merckx specs and geometry. I believe it replaced the Merckx EX. It is a traditional frame, so no bent seatstays like the litespeeds, though the seat tube and downtube are ovalized at the BB for stiffness. It's a sweet bike, I'll try and post pictures in a few days. Thanks!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
This was actually done, back in the day, by the Motorola team. They had 1 1/8 forks, so they used 1 1/8 XT headsets, and removed the threads. They only did it for a year or two, before Shimano gave them permission to use CK headsets.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
This was actually done, back in the day, by the Motorola team. They had 1 1/8 forks, so they used 1 1/8 XT headsets, and removed the threads. They only did it for a year or two, before Shimano gave them permission to use CK headsets.

wasn't that usps?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
FatTireFred said:
wasn't that usps?

Might have been. Can't remember when Armstrong went threadless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts