Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they make it?
If not What compact crank should I get?

Are all bottom brackets that have the bearings on the out side compatible?
Can I use a Dura Ace BB with a FSA crank for example?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
why a compact??

I don't get it. Suddenly everyone can't handle standard road bike gearing. Uless a 39/27 low isn't low enough there are only disadvantages.

Shimano does not offer a DA compact.

Supposedly the BBs can be used interchangeably (although FSA says don't), but why would you want to when the BB comes with the crank?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
C-40 said:
I don't get it. Suddenly everyone can't handle standard road bike gearing. Uless a 39/27 low isn't low enough there are only disadvantages.
If I want low gearing without resorting to a triple, but dont want big gaps between gears, a compact is the way to go. I rode the same climb in Italy in 2004 & 2005. In 2004 I was on 42/25 and over geared, in 2005 34/25 and comfortable. More importantly there was a smaller gap between the gears making it possible to climb in the 19 or 21 with a couple of gears below for the steeper sections.

I don't understand these macho comments about not being able to handle a standard crank. Indurain used a triple, many pros used triples on the Angliru, and 36t chainrings were used in the 60's. Even Basso used a Compact in the Tour last year!

It's lighter than a triple, gives almost the same range and is less cumbersome than a triple.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dura Ace Compact?

mechanical g said:
Do they make it?
If not What compact crank should I get?

Are all bottom brackets that have the bearings on the out side compatible?
Can I use a Dura Ace BB with a FSA crank for example?
No, they don't make it. They do make a compact, but it is neither Dura Ace or Ultegra. It is a stand alone item. I have it and like like it. :D
The bottom bracket does not come with the compact crankset. I bought the Ultegra bottom bracket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts