Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried this combo? Does it work smoothly?

I am able to get a really good deal on a set of Easton EA90 Aero wheels but they come only with the Dura Ace cassette. I do not want to purchase and find out it does not work.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

· Registered
368 Posts
as long as you are using SRAM shifters with the rear der. them it will work just fine and if the deal on the wheels is that good who cares if you dont use a DA cassette. SRAM uses the same freebody as shimano so any SRAM cassette would fit on there.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I've been running Ultegra cassettes (sorry... i just cast justify spending so much $$ on DA cassettes that wear out faster and require more frequent chain replacement) on SRAM Red/Force for 2 years. Shimano cassettes work great with SRAM.

· Registered
92 Posts
I've found that when I used a shimano cassette, DA in my case, that I had better shifting with the DA chain. It seems that the shimano chain has less lateral flex so it works better with the shifting ramps on the cassette. The missing tooth in SRAM cassettes works better with the slightly flexier SRAM chain. I've run Force with DA cassette and chain, and now I'm using Red with the red cassette and a 1090 chain.

· Registered
273 Posts
Yes you are correct in that the standard freehub on the Easton EA90 Aero is a Shimano 10spd only which will not accomodate a Sram cassette (needs the Shimano 8/9/10 hub). I have a set of Aeros and ordered a 8/9/10 hub from Easton (about 75 shipped). I have run the Force rear der with both the Force cassette and a DA cassette and cannot tell the difference when shifting.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roadrider22 said:
Yes you are correct in that the standard freehub on the Easton EA90 Aero is a Shimano 10spd only which will not accomodate a Sram cassette (needs the Shimano 8/9/10 hub). I have a set of Aeros and ordered a 8/9/10 hub from Easton (about 75 shipped). I have run the Force rear der with both the Force cassette and a DA cassette and cannot tell the difference when shifting.
Thank you for your reply. What do you like/dislike most about the EA90Aero's?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

I installed a 11-21 DA cassette and lo and behold......BETTER SHIFTING than with the OG1070. Plus it's so much more quiet...no racket.

I'm happy. Thanks to all helped.

Here's a pic of the steed with new wheels

· Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
Slimbrown said:
UPDATE:

I installed a 11-21 DA cassette and lo and behold......BETTER SHIFTING than with the OG1070. Plus it's so much more quiet...no racket.

I'm happy. Thanks to all helped.

Here's a pic of the steed with new wheels
Are those FSA chainwheels on your Force crank arms? :confused:

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BunnV said:
Are those FSA chainwheels on your Force crank arms? :confused:
How'd you guess? :p

2 reasons for the FSA.chainrings.

1. I wanted a 38T innner ring. Force only has a 36T.
2. I wanted black chainrings. I serached high and lo for Black Stronglight rings. But did not find any. So the FSA will do just fine until I find some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.