Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I have any issues running the new Dura Ace 7900 10-speed chain on a SRAM Rival/Force 1070 OpenGlide 10 Speed Cassette (11-26)?

Thanks.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Yes, the 7900 chain is only compatible with 7900 components. Its due to the design differences for the chain link plates. The outer plate is different than the inner plate.

The inner plate helps with shifting on the cassette, the outer plate for the chainrings and to help prevent chain suck.

The 7900 chain isn't even compatible with the 7800 DA cassettes/chainrings <-------Directly from Shimano.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
If the 7900 chain is compatable with 105/Ultegra/7800, then you'll be fine with the SRAM cassette. My only question would be why? Get a Shimano if you haven't already. Or, I'll gladly trade mine for a Shimano :p

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
zac said:
According to the updated interoperability chart, and the Shimano rep I spoke to the other day the 7900 chain will work just fine with 7800 rings and everything from 105 to 7900 cassettes.

As to the SRAM cassette? Sorry don't know didn't ask.

HRH
zac

Here is the compatibility chart I'm looking at right off of Shimano's website.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...e.html/01) Drivetrain Compatability Chart.pdf

Reason asking is warranty rep at Shimano told me last Thursday that the 7900 chain will not work with 7800 stuff

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yeah the new chart is pretty clear on the backwards compatibility to the cassettes. It is new this weekend. And if you think about it many racers wanted it cause they still ride 105s and ultrgra.

As to the rings, the chart still says no, but the rep said yes.

I am piecemealing up to 7900 and am doing the 7900 STI FD and RD onto a full 7800. I was trying to figure out what worked, and my guy put me in touch with his Shimano Rep. He was trying to sell me on the chain too saying that will really help with the FD, but I told told him I didn't want to have to up all my cassettes and my crankset. He told me the chain would work just fine. I even brought up the chart and he said it was confusing and being updated again. Ultimately I didn't do the chain, merely cause the 7801s will work just fine too. And they are $$

zac

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
c'mon now...we're talking about chains here. what could possibly happen if you throw a wheel w/ a 7800 cassette in a bike w/ a 7900 chain? what will blow up? the differences in the chain were made to improve shifting performance. it's not like the chain is a different pitch...i have to admit that i haven't tried any of these combinations, so i'm not speaking from experience, BUT...i wouldn't hesitate to run any of the compenents in any combination if i needed to. this is all 10spd stuff. the spacing is the same. it's not like you're trying to put diesel in the tank of your gasoline engined car. mixing things up like this is bound to happen or more likely has already happened at races all over the world.

·
Registered
647 Posts
cxwrench said:
c'mon now...we're talking about chains here. what could possibly happen if you throw a wheel w/ a 7800 cassette in a bike w/ a 7900 chain?
you sound like a mechanic...

--edit--

a real mechanic...not a home hack.

·
If I only knew...
91 Posts
The 7900 chain will work with 7800, how do I know....because I'm using one on my 7800 right now and I'll tell you it runs really smooth and shifts perfectly as well as being very quiet. If that isn't convincing enough a little seaching of race photos from last year(pre-tour) and you'll see alot of Shimano sponsored teams were running the 7900 chain on 7800 components.

So that being said I would say yes it will work on a Sram cassette.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
-dustin said:
you sound like a mechanic...

--edit--

a real mechanic...not a home hack.
thanks!
i checked w/ our shimano guy today to see what he said, and he thought it was perfectly fine. the shape of the new shimano cogs hasn't changed, just the overall weight of the cassette has been shaved down a bit. knowing that, and that an older 7800 chain would work w/ sram, the 7900 should be fine too.
on a side note...i actually rode the electronic stuff outside today and it's damn good. perfect shifts front or rear, no matter the terrain, cadence, or pressure on the pedals. the levers were comfortable too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts