Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
jupiterrn said:
The sexiest part will be the hopefully discounted 7800 parts I am going to buy.
Even heavily discounted, '08 Dura-Ace is gonna have a hard time competing with '09 Rival. Even if they knock $700 off the gruppo (the MSRP is $1600 IIRC), it will only be the same cost as '09 Rival and it will still be heavier. I'm more looking forward to discounts on '08 Record with the new 11 speed stuff coming out.

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
Thats why I just unloaded all my Force stuff (at a gain!). I am going to bide my time, look at where the prices end up, and go with best bang for the buck. I have a feeling its going to be 09 Rival. But to be honest, they would all be a great way to upgrade.

Which will look GREAT on my bike!:thumbsup:

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
So, looking at the compatibility charts listed on that site, if you're going for it, you're going for it all. Right?

Brakes, crank, chain, the only thing that looks to work with "older" 10 speed is the cassette.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
Even heavily discounted, '08 Dura-Ace is gonna have a hard time competing with '09 Rival. Even if they knock $700 off the gruppo (the MSRP is $1600 IIRC), it will only be the same cost as '09 Rival and it will still be heavier. I'm more looking forward to discounts on '08 Record with the new 11 speed stuff coming out.
Why does everyone care so much about weight? DA 7800 works amazingly well, arguably better than Rival/Force/Red without the horrible plastic crunch sound of that I love so much with all the Sram shifters that I hopefully they have engineered out.
200 grams won't make you a faster rider. DA 7800 has proven itself as a highly reliable group that works very very well.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
Why does everyone care so much about weight? DA 7800 works amazingly well, arguably better than Rival/Force/Red without the horrible plastic crunch sound of that I love so much with all the Sram shifters that I hopefully they have engineered out.
200 grams won't make you a faster rider. DA 7800 has proven itself as a highly reliable group that works very very well.
Well, even if you aren't worried about weight, what about cost? If it's close to twice as expensive AND heavier, it better shift a hell of a lot better. Even if you take weight out of the equation, you've still got $700 bucks in your pocket if you take Rival over DA. That buys me a nice set of wheels, or anything else you want to spend it on.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you aren't worried about weight, buy 105 or Ultegra. Ultegra cranks are marginally stiffer than DA7800 for example.

If they improve the SRAM cranks, then I think I'll switch entirely, but I am contemplating a Shimano crankset (and maybe brakes) with SRAM shifter setup. I still can't believe that Rival is going to be so ridiculously good of a deal.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
Well, even if you aren't worried about weight, what about cost? If it's close to twice as expensive AND heavier, it better shift a hell of a lot better. Even if you take weight out of the equation, you've still got $700 bucks in your pocket if you take Rival over DA. That buys me a nice set of wheels, or anything else you want to spend it on.
You know there's a very good reason Rival is so much cheaper.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
Magsdad said:
So, looking at the compatibility charts listed on that site, if you're going for it, you're going for it all. Right?

Brakes, crank, chain, the only thing that looks to work with "older" 10 speed is the cassette.
Look again. Full intercompatibility in the rear, except for larger cassettes that the current 7800 derailleurs can't handle. In the front, 7900 will work with the 7800 crankset, but not as well as with 7900. I guess 7800 levers/front der won't work with the new crankset, though.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
Why's that?
If Sora was the lightless gruppo would you put that on your bike?

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
CleavesF said:
If Sora had the same action as Dura Ace for less than half the price, at a slight weight penalty, would you put it on your bike? I sure as hell would.

That's the point: Rival has the same action (or will have the same action) as Red for a hell of a lot cheaper, and only a slight weight penalty. Win/win situation.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,324 Posts
MaestroXC said:
Look again. Full intercompatibility in the rear, except for larger cassettes that the current 7800 derailleurs can't handle. In the front, 7900 will work with the 7800 crankset, but not as well as with 7900. I guess 7800 levers/front der won't work with the new crankset, though.

As I have read-the cable pull is different; ergo you need 7900 brifters and gear cluster and chain (at least) to make it work; full intercompatibility that ain't.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
CleavesF said:
I wouldn't go as far as comparing Rival to Sora, but it's nowhere near Dura Ace indeed.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
rogger said:
I wouldn't go as far as comparing Rival to Sora, but it's nowhere near Dura Ace indeed.
If DA 7800 prices are dropping, then my TT ride is getting full DA upgrade for sure. Oh, if they drop by a lot though.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
uzziefly said:
If DA 7800 prices are dropping, then my TT ride is getting full DA upgrade for sure. Oh, if they drop by a lot though.
They're dropping in €, although that could be due to the weak $. Cheapest I've seen is €668 opposed to €729 just a few months back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.