Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to upgrade the 11-25 105 cassette on my bike. Any opinions about upgrading to the new Dura-ace 7900 or Sram Red cassette? I'll keep the same Ultegra SL crankset, chain and derailleurs.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
cpark said:
Neither.
Ultegra
Fixed it for ya.
Now if you're keepin the same 11-25, then there is no real "upgrade". Stick with what you have.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
cpark said:
Neither.
Ultegra or 7800.
as he was saying 'upgrade' i'm wondering about this...
6600 is heavier, but will wear well. 7800 is also heavier, and has some ti cogs which will wear faster. not really an 'upgrade' in my book.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
cxwrench said:
as he was saying 'upgrade' i'm wondering about this...
6600 is heavier, but will wear well. 7800 is also heavier, and has some ti cogs which will wear faster. not really an 'upgrade' in my book.
Are you saying that 6600/7800 cassette are heavier than 105 cassette????
I'm generalizing "upgrade" as moving up on the componentry hierarchy, not base on wear.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
cpark said:
Are you saying that 6600/7800 cassette are heavier than 105 cassette????
I'm generalizing "upgrade" as moving up on the componentry hierarchy, not base on wear.
Yes, the 6600 is heavier than the 105, but not by much. It's about durability here. The 7800 is essentially the same, but with the last 2 (I think?) cogs being titanium for weight savings. If you don't use those cogs, then the DA cassette will last a long time too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me rephrase the question. Is there any noticable difference in shifting performance between Sram Red and Dura Ace 7900 cassette when using a Shimano chain?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
petehm said:
Let me rephrase the question. Is there any noticable difference in shifting performance between Sram Red and Dura Ace 7900 cassette when using a Shimano chain?
Yes. Ask the guy whose Red cassette doesn't work.

Shimano works best with Shimano, SRAM with SRAM. I dont' understand this "interbrand" stuff. You guys know what I mean.

·
Registered
505 Posts
CleavesF said:
Yes. Ask the guy whose Red cassette doesn't work.

Shimano works best with Shimano, SRAM with SRAM. I dont' understand this "interbrand" stuff. You guys know what I mean.
the guy with the red cassette complaints has got some other issue, otherwise you'd be hearing about it from a lot of others.

i've used shimano and kmc chains with an otherwise red drivetrain and it works great. so does the sram chain, but it's noisier. an all shimano arrangement is reputed to shift 'better', but i do my best to avoid shimano...it's a personal thing. i can't imagine a full 7800/7900 drivetrain shifting any better than my record and red drivetrains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts