Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

So I'm looking to run a quarq powermeter. But I will need to change some things. I run dura ace 7900 everything, including the cranks and bottom bracket. To run a quarq powermeter, the dura ace cranks won't work. The bike is a 2010 tarmac SL3. I'm leaning towards specialized cranks:

https://www.quarq.com/cinqo_specialized

I'm not fully clear on what I will need, and what I can continue to use. It looks like i'll need at least this:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=47411&menuItemId=9305&eid=5135

but what else? What will I be able to continue to use? Will the dura-ace bottom bracket play nice with the specialized cranks? Obviously, as can be seen in the <a href="https://www.coloradocyclist.com/img/product/full/s/ssbiarm1.jpg">picture</a>, the left crank is integrated into the big chainring, so that won't work. So would I need this?:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=54152&menuItemId=9305&eid=5135

and this?:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=54154&menuItemId=9305&eid=5135

If anyone can clarify this for me, many thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Does your frame have BB30? Because I would have thought a SL3 would be BB30. If you have BB30, you need the crank arms and the chain ring. Quarq supplies the spider obviously.

If your frame isn't BB30, then you'll need a different crank. You'll need everything above but also a bottom bracket. One thing to note is that you usually can't buy just the crank arms & chain rings. You usually get everything, cranks arms, spider and chain rings. Bottom bracket is sold separately if you need that.

Also I would contact quarq and ask them what chain ring they recommend for the cranks you want to buy. The quarq is sensitive to chain ring flex between chain rings. And some lightweight chain rings will show a greater power differential between the small and big ring. I think the best rings are SRAM Red Rings. According to quarq the differential is around 1%. So if you plan on getting the Specialized S-Works chain rings to go with your cranks, you should contact quarq and find out how well they work. Also from Quarq's site:

"The only Specailized chainrings we recommend using with this CinQo are the S-Works SL Chainrings. The regular S-Works Chainrings introduce a calibration error on the CinQo."

http://www.quarq.com/cinqo_specialized

But if I was you I would probably go with the SRAM Red rings or you can use your dura-ace chain rings if you get a crank with the same BCD. You'll only notice the power differentials, if you ride with another power meter and compare the numbers you're seeing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so I've learned more about this stuff since posting. I definitely don't have a BB30 frame. So, specialized cranks are out. That's fine. What do folks think about the setup of --CinQo Saturn, SRAM S975, Standard, 130 BCD, with SRAM red rings-- I think I'd need a different bottom bracket? Or would the dura ace one play nice with that?

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
teapotter said:
OK, so I've learned more about this stuff since posting. I definitely don't have a BB30 frame. So, specialized cranks are out. That's fine. What do folks think about the setup of --CinQo Saturn, SRAM S975, Standard, 130 BCD, with SRAM red rings-- I think I'd need a different bottom bracket? Or would the dura ace one play nice with that?
Better to get the nice ceramic Red BB to go with it. You will need the 7900 BB if you use or sell the crank anyway. I have the Quarq Red 957 PM- its really good.

BTW- the SL3 you have is a BB30 with an adapter pressed in to use regular cranks.

:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if that insert can be removed? It sounds like I shouldn't bother though and just go with the sram setup...

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
teapotter said:
Do you know if that insert can be removed? It sounds like I shouldn't bother though and just go with the sram setup...

I do not think it can, best to call Specialized and ask (wouldn't want to mess up the warranty on that frame).

:)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I had the same issue - a BB30 bottom bracket on one bike and a standard English on another. I went with the English SRAM 975 compact and paid an upgrade charge for a Red big chainring.

On my BB30 bike, I had the insert put in. Prior to that, I had a BB30 SRAM Red crankset. Maybe others will differ but honestly, I cannot tell any difference in stiffness between the BB30 and English bottom bracket.

Installing the insert requires a good mechanic. I have heard that the insert can be removed by a qualified mechanic. But even my mechanic told me that you cannot put in and remove the insert over and over again. Doing so will eventually damage the bottom bracket shell.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You already have the 7900 chain rings on your crank. Why not get the Cinqo rotor 3d crank (compatible with the shimano bb) and have them put your chainrings on it. That's what I did to get the best shifting performance for my Di2 drivetrain.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
goodboyr said:
You already have the 7900 chain rings on your crank. Why not get the Cinqo rotor 3d crank (compatible with the shimano bb) and have them put your chainrings on it. That's what I did to get the best shifting performance for my Di2 drivetrain.
I'm not opposed to the rotor. You like them? Not familiar with that brand at all, so I guess I didn't consider it. Not sure how I understand how my chainrings would go on it. The bigger ring is part of the crank.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
teapotter said:
I'm not opposed to the rotor. You like them? Not familiar with that brand at all, so I guess I didn't consider it. Not sure how I understand how my chainrings would go on it. The bigger ring is part of the crank.
Not true. The crank is separate and the rings just bolt on. Just to be clear, I am talking about the Quarq Cinqo rotor 3d. You can order with or without chainrings. I ordered without, and shipped my 7900 chainrings to Quarq for installation and calibration.

View attachment 211380

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
goodboyr said:
Not true. The crank is separate and the rings just bolt on. Just to be clear, I am talking about the Quarq Cinqo rotor 3d. You can order with or without chainrings. I ordered without, and shipped my 7900 chainrings to Quarq for installation and calibration.

View attachment 211380
Got it. Thanks for the scop!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts