Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new drive train - DA9001 shifters and 9000 front and rear derailleurs. I mated it with a Shimano 11speed chain and Miche primato light 11 speed cassette (14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-25). The cassette is spaced for Campy since it went on a Campagnolo wheel. Also using Record 10speed crankset.

Everything installed well and shifts great... except for trying to get into the largest cog (25). Lever clicks and derailleur moves a little but just won't go enough to complete the shift. Once in a while I can get it to shift onto the 25 but need to shift 2 cogs at once to make it (i.e. 22 to the 25).

Derailleur limit screws were checked and when pushing the derailleur by hand it goes into the 25 without issue. Also adjusted b-tension screw and not much difference. Chain length is correct as per Shimano instructions. Derailleur hanger is straight and not bent. Bike is new from 1 year go.

Would a 0.5 or 1mm spacer on the bottom end of the cassette (between the back of the freehub and the 25 cog) help? This would move the whole cassette outboard? There is no final spacer between the 25 cog and the 22cog so can't shave it down.

Any ideas of how to get it to work correctly? Suggestions welcome

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Sounds like lack of cable tension to me.

Turn the barrel adjuster counter clockwise some and see what that does.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I would undo the bolt holding the cable, pull some more cable through and re-tighten the bolt. Sounds like the cable is a bit loose.

Do this in the little cog of course, and before you do it turn the barrel adjuster back in clockwise almost all of the way.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If the RD is moving from 14 to 15 with one click of the shifter, tension is fine. It does sound like the L limit screw needs to let the RD move further. But, if you've checked/rechecked that, I'd try that spacer behind the 25... and start over with the adjustments - starting with the smallest cog.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

Migen21 - Limit screws were fine. Even with the low limit taken out much more than needed the problem remained.

MMsRepBike - Re-set the cable anchor without any success.

OldZaskar - shifts perfectly throughout the range - except for the 25. Cable tension is otherwise fine .Going to look more into that cassette spacer. I should have about 1-2mm to play with before the cassette lockring might interfere with the hub locknut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.