Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I notice that when I grab my SRAM Red 22 rim brakes lever it grabs the rim one side first then the other side of the caliper grabs the rim. Is this how single pivot brakes work? The brake hose length is adequate.

I'm considering buying DA 9000 rim brakes for their dual pivot action believing that it provides a more equal pressure versus my current sram red calipers. Is this possible? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks ya'll

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have SRAM red on my Scott Foil and use DA direct mount brakes so no issue.

As for if you need to change brakes, I've used PX single pivot brakes before with Shimano and they are tricky to set up but once done were fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
there is idividual side adjustment on the brakes and i would start there. but i have always prefered shimano brakes with sram brake levers, get more power so for me personally its easier to modulate but i could see how less experienced riders could lock them up too easily. I run 7900 calipers with red 22 levers, works great and you dont have to pull the lever as far :)

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
I notice that when I grab my SRAM Red 22 rim brakes lever it grabs the rim one side first then the other side of the caliper grabs the rim. Is this how single pivot brakes work?
No, it means you haven't centered the brakes properly. Most of the time you can move the brake by hand (the body of the brake needs to move). If not, loosen the mounting bolt and recenter.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As Kerry just said, center the caliper first, tighten the center bolt and then adjust from there.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yes, that's how these Sram brakes work. They can be perfectly centered when open but one side will move before the other when being applied. This is inconsequential. If you watch closely in the stand, you'll see the brakes self center on the rim when applied. With dual pivot brakes, if they're not centered to begin with, they'll push the rim sideways when applied. Neither is good or bad, it's just characteristic of how they work. With the Sram brakes, the main thing is that the are centered when open so that there is no drag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts