Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no auto shifting.

I believe you're referring to Synchronized Shift. Which isn't auto shifting.
Well, "auto shifting" is a bit hyperbolic, but it does automatically shift with RD control only, to maximize chain lines. So yes, it's not fully auto, but it will automatically shift in certain conditions. I'm reading the review on CyclingTips right now, it's very informative.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
not much change really.

wires? ewwwww eTap is all over this

no carbon crank arms yet either.

yet .. still it's great stuff that the majority of pros use, fwiw

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I don't want my front derailleur shifting autonomously, if that's what this is about!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I don't want my front derailleur shifting autonomously, if that's what this is about!
ha why not for trim though? I think they mean it is for trimming, not shifting chainrings?

been a long time since we have had proper 'trim' on the Front derailleur. I mean friction-shift front derailleur is the last system to allow that. So if the fr der electronics can do it for ya .. why not let it do so?

even better would be a customisable sequential shift program, so you wouldn't ever need to touch the fr der shifter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you can turn it off.

I think the point is if you can program your L/R shifters/buttons to shift RD only, then the FD will shift accordingly. This would definitely be a "try it first" thing, to make sure you like it and can get used to it, but if you can learn its pattern, it could be useful.

I'm waiting for full Shimano wireless with auto shifting based on power/cadence, but that's still a pipe dream.

The improvements stated for the mechanical FD and RD alone, has me interested in this set. Depending on pricing, I may upgrade to the mech version and then wait a few years until they have their own wireless system.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
In my view the number one thing Shimano needed to get right was rear deraliuer cable longevity. On both 6800 and 9000 I have not been able to get more than about 2,000 miles before the cable fails. Grant it I shift often but this is inexcusable. I dont' see any reference to a redesign that deals with this.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
The shimano on my cross bike autoshifted all the time... that's why there is now SRAM on the bike . :)

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
been a long time since we have had proper 'trim' on the Front derailleur. I mean friction-shift front derailleur is the last system to allow that.
My 10 and 11 speed cable-operated Campy Chorus front derailleurs offer a reasonable amount of trim. Yeah, maybe I can't adjust them quite as finely as I can with my old friction shift derailleur bicycle but...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
not much change really.

wires? ewwwww eTap is all over this

no carbon crank arms yet either.

yet .. still it's great stuff that the majority of pros use, fwiw
There is some feedback about lag when shifting so I'll take wires over that any day, and cranks are one of the few places I don't want carbon but that might be residual paranoia from years back.

As far as that group goes, I think it's damn sexy, and I've always found their stuff to just plain work.
Of course it's out of my price range right now but maybe when telepathic shifting is released this 9100 group will be more affordable.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Brakes are a fail. They already had the best and stiffest and now they tack on 40 grams. Don't get it. Hope they fixed the RD issue where it eats cables like Tic-Tacs.
No wireless is a fail too IMO. If you're still going to be routing cables may as well stay on mechanical unless you're building a TT bike.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
As far as that group goes, I think it's damn sexy, and I've always found their stuff to just plain work..
I can only agree Shimano makes some fanatically precise and solid mechanical shifting these days. And I also like to save a few bucks, get DA quality shifting ... in Ultegra11 group price point.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
It sounds like while SRAM ,basically was interested in making a wireless group set, Shimano was interested in taking their existing units to the next level while ignoring the wireless issue.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts