Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a BB-7700 109.5 english that needs to be serviced. Is there a step by step protocol available or is it easier to just replace with a cartridge style 105 BB? Do any of you have tips or tricks to make the process a little easier?

Thanks.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
danielc said:
I have a BB-7700 109.5 english that needs to be serviced. Is there a step by step protocol available or is it easier to just replace with a cartridge style 105 BB? Do any of you have tips or tricks to make the process a little easier?
Here's one tip: work over a bucket. The BB is a combination of ball and roller bearings, held in plastic retainers. You can easily pop the bearings out of the retainers, so work over a bucket or pan to catch anything that falls out. Other than that, just wipe everything clean (or if you're a clean freak, sluice it with solvent to remove all the grease), re-grease and reassemble. Remember, you adjust this BB like the "old style" cup and cone bearing systems, so you never torque the cups with anything much more than hand tension.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Here's one tip: work over a bucket. The BB is a combination of ball and roller bearings, held in plastic retainers. You can easily pop the bearings out of the retainers, so work over a bucket or pan to catch anything that falls out. Other than that, just wipe everything clean (or if you're a clean freak, sluice it with solvent to remove all the grease), re-grease and reassemble. Remember, you adjust this BB like the "old style" cup and cone bearing systems, so you never torque the cups with anything much more than hand tension.
That's a good idea. What kind of grease would you recommend? The BB has almost 9000 miles on it. Do you think it is still worth trying to service it?

Thanks.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Grease choice

danielc said:
That's a good idea. What kind of grease would you recommend? The BB has almost 9000 miles on it. Do you think it is still worth trying to service it?
Any good quality grease will be fine. I like Slick 50 OneGrease, but there are many others. Just be sure to use a lightweight grease to minimize friction and use something that is waterproof. If you didn't let the BB run dry or get full of grit, 9K miles should not be an issue. You just have to look at the bearings and surfaces when you open it up. If things are badly dulled or pitted, the consider a new unit.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Any good quality grease will be fine. I like Slick 50 OneGrease, but there are many others. Just be sure to use a lightweight grease to minimize friction and use something that is waterproof. If you didn't let the BB run dry or get full of grit, 9K miles should not be an issue. You just have to look at the bearings and surfaces when you open it up. If things are badly dulled or pitted, the consider a new unit.
I ended up replacing the BB with a 105 sealed cartridge at the time but yesterday I decided to clean out the old Dura Ace BB. To my surprise no bearings fell out when it was originally removed so I thought it would be worth to clean up and have as a backup. Upon inspection, all the bearings look fine but I did notice that the plastic holders for the ball bearings were a little worn and even gouged in some spots. Do you think this is a problem and is the part replaceable?

Thanks.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
The holders are just holders. Since you have roller bearings besides ball bearings, it will take you a lot longer to overhaul the bottom bracket. Take your time and clean everything really well.
PS the balls may fall out the the holders. Just put them back when you are done cleaning.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
The holders are just holders. Since you have roller bearings besides ball bearings, it will take you a lot longer to overhaul the bottom bracket. Take your time and clean everything really well.
PS the balls may fall out the the holders. Just put them back when you are done cleaning.
The plastic holder for the roller bearings was fine. I almost thought I had lost a bearing but it turned up at the bottom of my degreaser bucket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.