Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Dura-Ace brake adjustment?

961 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  kirkB 
Good for you

kirkB said:
Dinosaur, I do put my hands on the tops of the hoods while descending - if the road is not too steep - but when the downhill is steep and long enough to get up into the 40mph range it sure feels more stable and under control on the turns with my hands lower in the drops.

While it is a reach to get my fingers onto the brakes, it does seem like you get better brake control when going fast with your hands down lower as well.

I will give it a try keeping them up top tomorrow on my commute and see how it goes.
I do a lot of climbing and descending, I can't ride in the drops when I descend as I have a bad right hand. I don't notice any difference in my speed when I am riding with other riders. So if you can't master the descending in the drops, the hands on the hoods will work (I have Campy, so they are actually on the flat part of the bars). Just be careful. don't descend too fast. I've had two bad crashes, one while descending and the other climbing. I guess the next will be on the flats.

Keep the rubber side down.

Dino

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.