Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Dura-Ace brake adjustment?

965 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  kirkB 
#1 ·
Guys,

I am total rookie on the road - been riding in the dirt for years.

Just got a new Felt Z25 2 weeks ago - and have been having a lot of fun doing longer rides and commuting to work (about 18 miles each way). Getting plenty of sideways looks for riding with SPD pedals and mountain shoes and helment, but having a good old time.

Anyways, on to my real question. This bike has Dura-Ace shifter/brake combo which works well - but when going down hills in the drops it seems like I have to really reach and can barely get the tips of my fingers on the brake - so I am wondering if there is any way to adjust the reach on these brakes?

Sorry for the rookie question, I am a decent mechanic on a MTB - but these road parts are completely foreign to me.

Thanks,

Kirk

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Dinosaur, I do put my hands on the tops of the hoods while descending - if the road is not too steep - but when the downhill is steep and long enough to get up into the 40mph range it sure feels more stable and under control on the turns with my hands lower in the drops.

While it is a reach to get my fingers onto the brakes, it does seem like you get better brake control when going fast with your hands down lower as well.

I will give it a try keeping them up top tomorrow on my commute and see how it goes.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys -

It is just the reach out to the levers, not the engagement point. I am used to braking with just one finger on a mtb, it is just that right now I can barely catch it with the very tip of my finger.

So I think the simple fix will be to just loosen the clamps and slide them down a bit - I will try that today - and if it does not work, I will try those specialized shims.

Kirk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.