Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well..

I see it has the same grey on the parts as the 7900, so you had better not even look at it too hard or it will get all scratched up.

I have owned may Shimano grupos over the years and as far as I am concerned this finish which is also on my 7900 group is the worse by far.:mad: I advise anyone who does not like scrtched up parts to stick with the 7800.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
I'm mostly a Campy guy, but when I caught a glimpse of what I thougt was 7900 ON A BIKE, ON THE FLOOR(!) @ River City (LBS, Portland OR), and stepped over to check it out, I peed my pants when I realized it was Di2. Yes, on a bike, on the floor.

I wants.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Our shimano rep came by with it on his bike. It is all that its hyped up to be. The sound it makes is so cool when the fd trims automatically. I do have one gripe though that apparently I was the only one at the shop that noticed. The shift levers are small and really close together so I was having a little bit of trouble distinguishing between the two. I'm guessing that eventually it becomes second nature though. Still, its very very impressive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My LBS guy has told me that he has ordered at least 2 DI2 groups and that they are pre-sold. He only sells custom bikes though and has a very high end client base.

He should have it early next week. I am going to go look at it, though it is a bit rich for my blood. I am waiting for new ultegra for my next upgrade.

·
Registered
578 Posts
very very exciting but yet too early.. ill wait for a yr to roll by atleast before i even think about trying di2..... very nice tho!

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Can we please just call Shimano stuff groups?

brentley said:
My LBS guy has told me that he has ordered at least 2 DI2 grouppo and that they are pre-sold. He only sells custom bikes though and has a very high end client base.

He should have it early next week. I am going to go look at it, though it is a bit rich for my blood. I am waiting for new ultegra for my next upgrade.
Let's show some respect for our heritage as a bicycling community and leave the word gruppo for describing Italian components. It's hard enough for me already the Di2 is the shiz without using the word gruppo. Please.

·
Registered
32 Posts
parker3375 said:
The shift levers are small and really close together so I was having a little bit of trouble distinguishing between the two. I'm guessing that eventually it becomes second nature though.
I know what you mean. I first thought that when I went to look at it in the shop. But after 5 minutes of riding, no thought was involved. I can say I'm glad I shelled out all the $$$$ for it. The front shifting is incredible, even though I'm running the Zipp Vumaquad.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I would think the shift paddles being so close would be problematic in colder temperatures while wearing bulkier gloves. Shimano is already the least "big glove" friendly... it seems like it'll be even worse with these shifters.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Someday Shimano's top of the line Dura-Ace is only going to be electric. You'd have to get Ultegra to have cables.
I have a feeling that someday Ultegra will be electronic as well. And maybe sooommeeeday even Wally World bikes will have electronic shifting. Like power windows on a car, extreme luxury items when first introduced, but now just about every car has them regardless of price.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts