Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to start a Shimano vs. Campagnolo war but I have a bike with a 9 speed, Dura-Ace drive train and 2 options for cranks:

1) Ultegra, 9 speed, FC-6500 from about 2002 but with newer chain rings and BB-6500 of the same 2002 vintage.
2) Record, 10 speed, alloy from 2003 - in good condition and Record BB of the same 2003 vintage.

I'm leaning towards option 2. According to Wheelworks (http://wheelworks.co.nz/drivetrain.php?ST=S2&FD=S2&RD=S2&CN=S2&CS=S2&CR=C3): "There will be no problems with this combination."

Weight-wise, the Record should be a bit lighter but not significantly - maybe 50 grams? I would also expect the Record BB to last longer but maybe there are other things I should be taking into consideration?

So the question is, which should I go with?

·
Registered
890 Posts
You can get a Campy Chorus square taper BB from ProBikeKit for less than $50 shipped (if they still have them in stock). That ought to last just as long as record with a very minor weight penalty.

Do you already have both cranks in your possession?

I'd probably just stick to using the same manufacturer/drive train spec if possible.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bwhite_4 said:
Do you already have both cranks in your possession?

I'd probably just stick to using the same manufacturer/drive train spec if possible.
Yes, I already own both sets of cranks. Maybe I should just go with the Ultegra for now and when the BB needs replacing swap over to the Record?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts