Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a new ride tonight. It has SRAM RED levers, front dr, rear dr, and cassette. Right now it has dura ace calipers. The shop will swap them out to RED for about $150 (I know, I know but their policy is to give 50% credit for take off's). Which is a better brake caliper - Dura Ace or Red? I weigh about 200lbs if that makes any difference. I would like to have the entire RED group (less cranks and BB as the bike already has FSA cranks that I like A LOT) but if the Dura Ace are better, I will leave them on. The weight difference between the Dura Ace and RED calipers is about 10% (I think about 40 grams) so that doesn't really matter to me that much. I want the strongest non flexing brakes of the two....suggestions?

One option would be to get the RED on line ($235) and try to sell the Dura Ace, but that would probably come out to me spending close to $100 so if I want the RED, might as well swap them from the shop....

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
samcat said:
They're tough to beat. No upgrade to Red necessary, IMHO...

PH
Agree, keep the Dura Ace. Strong, reliable, very good stopping power. The only thing I might suggest is ask your shop to install a set of Kool Stop black or Salmon brake pads. These are even better than the Dura Ace brake pads for longevity and stopping power.

Now you can take the money you have saved and buy me a good dinner!:D

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah...it may be the 'sexy' factor of having all RED stuff...we will see. I have learned this, $150 sure doesn't buy you much in this 'sport' anymore.....I will take a good look at them tonight. I don't think the RED calipers look that much more 'cool' than Dura Ace, but like you said, having all the same is 'cool'...

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Before you keep 'em... realize one thing, is it going to bother you to have DA calipers on a full Red bike?

And do you care what other people think about that? And... will you regret this decision to not swap it out to full full Red?

I know it's stupid of me to say this, but aesthetics are very important to some, including myself. ;)

I love Shimano though... but if I had full Red, I'd drop 150 so I wouldn't have to tease my mind.

·
Registered
522 Posts
CleavesF said:
Before you keep 'em... realize one thing, is it going to bother you to have DA calipers on a full Red bike?

And do you care what other people think about that? And... will you regret this decision to not swap it out to full full Red?

I know it's stupid of me to say this, but aesthetics are very important to some, including myself. ;)

I love Shimano though... but if I had full Red, I'd drop 150 so I wouldn't have to tease my mind.
I don't think having all one set is cooler, I'd rather have the best of everything. Nobody is going to look at your bike and say, for example, what the hell is that Vuma Quad on your bike, you don't have an SRAM crank! So why would they if you have one of the best brakes in the business? If you are a weight weenie, I would apply that $150 to KCNCs anyway...

I prefer mixed bikes, cause they seem like people actually considered each component versus just buying something off the rack, but then again, I would probably mix wheel brands if I thought there was an advantage to be gained.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You could probably sell your DuraAce calipers on Ebay and buy Red calipers on ebay... for maybe $50 total. Seems like a rip-off by your shop.

In any case, the performance will be plenty good... decide based on how much you want a full group.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
Here's a shocker....

MarvinK said:
You could probably sell your DuraAce calipers on Ebay and buy Red calipers on ebay... for maybe $50 total. Seems like a rip-off by your shop.

In any case, the performance will be plenty good... decide based on how much you want a full group.
Most shops are set up as businesses. They actually try to sell stuff for more than the stuff costs them to buy. It would be great if all lbs dudes operated as missionaries to the biking public, working for cheap and passing every great deal straight through to the consumer, but many of them have things like mortgages or rent payments due every 30 days or so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As far as performance goes there won't be any difference (at least not $150 worth of difference). I'd keep the dura-ace for now and if you decide at a later date you want to change buy the red calipers yourself through the net and sell your DA ones...

·
Registered
368 Posts
This may not help you, but the owner of one local bike shop showed me his latest bike (which on past performance he will keep for a couple of months then upgrade). He has a new frame with Red groupset save for the brakes, which are new Bontrager. He says the brakes are a lot more powerful than the Record, Durace and SRAM brakes he has previously used, and is quite light. They certainly look different.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Ruh roh!

Balderick said:
He says the brakes are a lot more powerful than the Record, Durace and SRAM brakes he has previously used.
BS ALERT! BS ALERT! This is a guy who is either selling brakes or self-deluded. Not to say there's anything wrong with the Bontrager brakes, but "a lot more powerful" than Campy or Shimano? I don't think so.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
BS ALERT! BS ALERT! This is a guy who is either selling brakes or self-deluded. Not to say there's anything wrong with the Bontrager brakes, but "a lot more powerful" than Campy or Shimano? I don't think so.
Well, there is that little hook that engages the spokes when activated...:D

Last ride, I drifted both wheels on clean, dry pavement. Ultegra calipers, stock pads. Not finding much need for 'better' brakes.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
brujenn said:
Most shops are set up as businesses. They actually try to sell stuff for more than the stuff costs them to buy. It would be great if all lbs dudes operated as missionaries to the biking public, working for cheap and passing every great deal straight through to the consumer, but many of them have things like mortgages or rent payments due every 30 days or so.
I understand--but if you shop is selling you any Red/DA-level bike, they're likely making a fair amount of profit on the bike sale--and it's not like it would be hard to sell extra Dura Ace parts. In my experience, when you're buying a bike that's several thousand dollars--the bike shop is a little more flexible about swapping parts and accomodating you.

I'm sure there are other shops that out to get as much money as they can out of their customers--I don't shop at those places.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.