Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I do this on my DI2?
Will it give me the "glide" on properties when I shift?
Or is it more complicated then I think?
Having had Dura Ace years ago I miss how well it shifts.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Yes. The spacing between cogs should be the same.

Anything that's the same "family of speeds" should be interchangable. Obviously this is rare to do with individual cogs and a whole carrier, but I don't see why it wouldn't work unless there's a proprietary spline/hub that I don't know about.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
Can I do this on my DI2?
It will work fine. But the obvious question is why on earth you would pay so much more for DA cogs that will wear out so much faster and not shift any better.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,671 Posts
as the others have said, yes...it will work. but as Kerry asked, why? the Dura Ace cassette is 3 times the price of the Ultegra and there is NO difference in shifting, only weight. and as Kerry said it won't last as long.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Can I do this on my DI2?
If you have Di2 and miss the way your Dura Ace shifts from years ago you either need an adjustment or need to get used to the difference between mechanical and electric. I don't really know what a "glide on property" is but if you're looking for electric to feel just like an old mechanical set....it ain't going to happen.

A Dura Ace cassette will do nothing to improve or change the feel of your shifting unless perhaps your ultegra one is worn out but in that case a new ultegra one would have the same impact.

For the price of a new DA cassette you could probably buy back your old DA that you miss.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using the words "glide on" I meant to say, when you change gears under power it shifts smoothly rather then the kerchink sound that Ultegra makes. I always thought it was the different angle of the teeth on Dura Ace that made it sound that way. They have always designed DA that way to make it feel better than Ultegra. If you have never had DA then you won't know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Using the words "glide on" I meant to say, when you change gears under power it shifts smoothly rather then the kerchink sound that Ultegra makes.
It may well be true that Dura-Ace shifted more smoothly and quieter for you under power than Ultegra. But as others have said, this almost certainly had nothing to do with the cassette.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,671 Posts
Using the words "glide on" I meant to say, when you change gears under power it shifts smoothly rather then the kerchink sound that Ultegra makes. I always thought it was the different angle of the teeth on Dura Ace that made it sound that way. They have always designed DA that way to make it feel better than Ultegra. If you have never had DA then you won't know what I am talking about.
you are confused. in the last 15-20 years there has been NO difference between D/A and Ultegra cassettes other than materials. the design of the cogs, their shape and profiling, has been EXACTLY the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.