Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently sold a Giant TCR Composite 1 on ebay. The bike originally had a mix of Ultegra and Dura-Ace. I wanted to make the bike more sellable so I purchased Dura-Ace shifters, front deralliuer, and cassette off of an ebay seller with a very good reputation. The bike sold really quickly but I just got an email from the buyer who was really upset and said that the Dura-Ace shifters were knockoffs. I called my LBS who did the work swapping out the components and packing/shipping the bike, and they said they never heard of knockoff Dura-Ace shifters. They said the tooling for knockoffs would probably negate any profit.
Has anyone ever heard of knockoff Dura-Ace components? Especially ST-7700 which are 9 speed.
Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think your buyer is full of schitt, sounds like buyers remorse to me.

What is his basis for claiming they're knockoffs?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
There's really only one way to be sure... Ride the damn bike.

I'm sure you rode it after your LBS installed the new parts, right?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Sounds like ignorant BS. Microshift makes a shifter which looks a bit like Dura-Ace and sells it through Soul http://www.bikesoul.com/shifter.html But these not marked 'Shimano' or 'Dura-Ace', so they're not knock-offs. As far as I know, there are no Dura-Ace knock-off shifters.

My guess is the LBS or the buyer doesn't even know what 'knock-off' means. Someone may have found a less-than perfectly finished area on the underside of the shifter and never bothered to check other Dura-Ace shifters for similarities. I'd ask for a clearly stated reason of why someone thinks the shifters are 'knock-offs', along with close-up and in-focus photos. FWIW, I've had people call plainly labeled Tektro brakes 'Ultegra knock-offs,' and others confuse the term 'knock-off' with the term 'take-off.' Stupidity is everywhere.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
adlerburg said:
Here is a closeup of the shifter. I was told the hoods are Dura-Ace, on top of some Asian knockoff. Is this even possible to do?
Thanks everyone for your replies and help
Mick
View attachment 129832
Theoretically, it's possible. But what makes these guys think the shifters are knock-offs? In almost all cases, a shiny new name plate on top of a scratched shifter simply means that there was a crash or a bike drop and someone replaced the name plate. Cheap, and simple to do—item 4 on the exploded view at the link.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...ST/EV-ST-7700-1661A_v1_m56577569830628724.pdf

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The dude and his bike shop are full of crap. That's a Shimano ST-7700 for sure.
Just tell him you'll accept a letter on Shimano letterhead from the Shimano rep stating it is fake as proof. Otherwise, STFU and go away.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys and thanks for the replies.
I have to conclude that the chances of these being knockoffs are slim at best. If there were knockoffs somewhere in the world, someone would have seen them and replied that there was at least a sighting of them. Also, since a Google search of "Dura-Ace Knockoffs" yielded not one hit, that just furthers my view that these are probably not knockoffs. I think I'm going to send the buyer the original Ultegra shifters, and ask for the "knockoff Dura-Ace Shifters" back for inspection. He did pay close to $2k for the bike and I do want him to enjoy it. That said, I of course don't want to be a victim of a scam.
Thanks guys.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
adlerburg said:
I think I'm going to send the buyer the original Ultegra shifters, and ask for the "knockoff Dura-Ace Shifters" back for inspection. He did pay close to $2k for the bike and I do want him to enjoy it. That said, I of course don't want to be a victim of a scam.
Thanks guys.
Don't send him anything -- he is delusional. Its nice that you want to do everything you can to mollify his concerns, but you are never going to make somebody happy who is convinced that you sold him something that by all accounts, does not even exist.

Or he is trying to weasel out of the deal entirely (thought frankly it is hard to imagine someone coming up with such a unlikely excuse to do so).

Waste your time and money on this shifter issue, and he will want to return the bike anyway because it is covered in unicorn dander, which he is deathly allergic to.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
adlerburg said:
Hi Guys and thanks for the replies.
I have to conclude that the chances of these being knockoffs are slim at best. If there were knockoffs somewhere in the world, someone would have seen them and replied that there was at least a sighting of them. Also, since a Google search of "Dura-Ace Knockoffs" yielded not one hit, that just furthers my view that these are probably not knockoffs. I think I'm going to send the buyer the original Ultegra shifters, and ask for the "knockoff Dura-Ace Shifters" back for inspection. He did pay close to $2k for the bike and I do want him to enjoy it. That said, I of course don't want to be a victim of a scam.
Thanks guys.
My opinion is that you'd be a fool to send him anything with the expectation he'd send you something back. Also, you and he have not answered the perfectly reaonable question: exactly why is the shifter thought to be a "knock off"? Ask that question and post the reply. It is a perfectly reasonable question and you can make a good faith effort to remedy the problem if you get a good answer to that question.

As others have said, the model number is somewhere on the shifter under the hood.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been Taken (sigh)

I sent the buyer a set of Ultegra shifters and made it clear that I want the Dura-Ace "knockoffs" back for inspection. Tracking the Ultegra package, it was delivered over two weeks ago. Nothing further from the buyer... no emails, no knockoffs, no nothing. He won't respond to my emails now.
The thought that someone would make up a story and lie just to get something extra disgusts me... I feel taken, and like a fool. I'd like to have more confidence in people and think there are more honorable folks than not... but this type of experience sure puts a dark cloud on that idea... Thanks guys for all your help.. now I'm prepared for the "I told you so's"... go 'head... fire away!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
adlerburg said:
I sent the buyer a set of Ultegra shifters and made it clear that I want the Dura-Ace "knockoffs" back for inspection. Tracking the Ultegra package, it was delivered over two weeks ago. Nothing further from the buyer... no emails, no knockoffs, no nothing. He won't respond to my emails now.
The thought that someone would make up a story and lie just to get something extra disgusts me... I feel taken, and like a fool. I'd like to have more confidence in people and think there are more honorable folks than not... but this type of experience sure puts a dark cloud on that idea... Thanks guys for all your help.. now I'm prepared for the "I told you so's"... go 'head... fire away!

How far away does he live-- showing up and asking for the knockoff's back would be outstanding.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.