Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a Moots Compact and have a new Dura-Ace 7800 groupo to put on it. I have been thinking about moving to a compact crank for this bike.

Being that I already have the DA Crank it is cheeper for me to purchase a DA Triple Rear Derailleur and Longer chain then a new crank, plus I love the look and feel of the DA crank.

Does this work??? SRAM cassettes have been suggested to me, as shimano does not offer larger then a 12/27.

I appreciate any advice - Cheers

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
???

Your posting is not clear. Is your DA crank a triple crank, or a 53/39? A short cage RD will handle any 10 speed cassette sold by Shimano or SRAM with a 53/39 (except an 11-28). The only time you push the wrap capacity to the limit would be coupling a 50/34 compact with an 11-26 SRAM cassette. An 11-28 would exceed the short cage wrap capacity and probably require a longer cage RD. The 28T large cog won't be much of an improvement over a 27T and the 11-28 has awful 19-22-24-28 jumps.

As for pricing, you can look up the prices can't you? There are dozens of online stores to choose from.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am running a 50/34 with a 11/28 on my Ultegra and it is shifts fine. But C-40 is so right about the awful spacing and the fact that 28T is not that much of a improvment over the 27T. Go with the Shimano 12/27 .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am currently running a 53/39 front with a 12/27 rear. I am wondering if I replace my short reach rear derailleur with a long reach (triple dura-ace) rear derailleur, can I then run a 12/29 or 12/30,31,32??? While still using my 53/39 Dura Ace crank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.