Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Currently ride a Ultegra. Does changing to Dura Ace make any difference in performance, in shifters besides the weight?

Thansk

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
I doubt you'll notice any difference between the two, performance wise, but DA may seem a little crisper in the shifting. There's nothing wrong with Ultegra unless you just HAVE to have Shimanos best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just changed over to Ultegra from Sora and Tiagra. Whoa, What a difference! I also threw down for a set of Easton Vista wheels and FSA carbon cranks. My bike feels like it has come to life, especially when I'm out of the saddle. I don't think you can get any crisper shifting, considering their set up correctly.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Marcus75 said:
I Currently ride a Ultegra. Does changing to Dura Ace make any difference in performance, in shifters besides the weight?

Thansk
Dura Ace will outlast Ultegra by enough to justify the extra cost. I'm running 5 year old Dura Ace that are used in all conditions all year round.

Plus they do have a more positive feel than Ultegra.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently had my LBS put Dura Ace on what had been my Ultegra bike and put the Ultegra group on what had been a mixed Tiagra / 105 bike. All components in very good shape. New cables all around.

I can "trim" the gear selection much more consistently with my Dura Ace triple than I can with my Ultegra triple (both front and rear derailleurs). I would absolutely be able to tell the difference blind-folded. If FMW doubts that, he can come test me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
sako said:
I would have to disagree with that; especially regarding the rear derailleur. Also I've found that a properly adjusted DA STI has a more precise feel and action than an Ultegra STI.
Truthfully, I think this might be a little of the placebo effect. I really do. I don't think you're talking about two different bikes that you ride interchangeably. I think your memory get a little clouded because you think the D/A should work better since it is more desireable. Also, I'm not sure how one adjusts an STI, properly or otherwise..

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Gotta agree with fmv on this one. I've been considering a new bike & have ridden a number of DAs and Ultegras from good LBS's. Which is "crisper" or "smoother" varies- sometimes Ult sometimes DA. I am sure this is due to the set-up, but I am assuming that a decent LBS would want ALL their higher-end bikes to be done right. My impression is that any difference between Ult & DA is DAMN small.
IMHO- Sora is best avoided if possible, Tiagra is just OK when new but inferior after 1500mi+, 105 is solid but not as polished as Ult/DA, Ult and DA are both very fine. DA has a slight weight advantage, but certain Ult components (e.g cassette) may be more durable.

Bottom line- I would take DA if you gave it to me, but I wouldn't pay extra for it over Ultegra. Truth be told- the new 105 is probably better than most recreational cyclists would ever need.

·
Registered
359 Posts
paluc52 said:
I recently had my LBS put Dura Ace on what had been my Ultegra bike and put the Ultegra group on what had been a mixed Tiagra / 105 bike. All components in very good shape. New cables all around.

I can "trim" the gear selection much more consistently with my Dura Ace triple than I can with my Ultegra triple (both front and rear derailleurs). I would absolutely be able to tell the difference blind-folded. If FMW doubts that, he can come test me.
My comments are never second hand. They are from personal experience. However, I have no personal experience with Shimano triples so I won't debate you and I'll amend my comment to exclude the triples. The Campy triples shift just like the doubles but that may not be true of Shimano. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
359 Posts
ultimobici said:
Dura Ace will outlast Ultegra by enough to justify the extra cost. I'm running 5 year old Dura Ace that are used in all conditions all year round.

Plus they do have a more positive feel than Ultegra.
That could well be. My own experience is not as positive as yours. Over the three years I used Shimano gear, I broke 3 Utegra parts and only 1 D/A part (a rear derailleur.) I had D/A for a longer period so I would view it as somewhat more reliable. I was talking about shifting performance. I have never been able to detect a difference in "feel" between the two. Perhaps your experience is from groups made in different years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
fmw said:
Truthfully, I think this might be a little of the placebo effect. I really do. I don't think you're talking about two different bikes that you ride interchangeably. I think your memory get a little clouded because you think the D/A should work better since it is more desireable. Also, I'm not sure how one adjusts an STI, properly or otherwise..
I have a new training/commuter bike with Ultegra 10 and recently sold a 05 Giant which also had Ultegra 10. I also have a Cannondale Synapse which has Dura Ace 10. While there is not a huge difference I can definitely tell them apart in use. If you somehow think that I can't then that's not my problem. I don't necessarily consider D/A more desirable either; it just so happened to be on the Cannondale Synapse bike when I bought it. Would have been perfectly happy with Ultegra.

fmw said:
Also, I'm not sure how one adjusts an STI, properly or otherwise..
I meant properly maintained; my mistake. They aren't adjustable as far as I know.

·
Registered
359 Posts
sako said:
I have a new training/commuter bike with Ultegra 10 and recently sold a 05 Giant which also had Ultegra 10. I also have a Cannondale Synapse which has Dura Ace 10. While there is not a huge difference I can definitely tell them apart in use. If you somehow think that I can't then that's not my problem. I don't necessarily consider D/A more desirable either; it just so happened to be on the Cannondale Synapse bike when I bought it. Would have been perfectly happy with Ultegra.

I meant properly maintained; my mistake. They aren't adjustable as far as I know.
OK, you get the shifter sensitivity award for 2006. I can't tell one from the other so you obviously have more sensitivity than I do. Take care.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There was acctually an interview done with a guy from shimano saying he doesnt realized why more people are using 105. I he said it offers most of the performance of ultegra and dura ace at more than half the price...and this is coming from a shimano guy...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
fmw said:
That could well be. My own experience is not as positive as yours. Over the three years I used Shimano gear, I broke 3 Utegra parts and only 1 D/A part (a rear derailleur.) I had D/A for a longer period so I would view it as somewhat more reliable. I was talking about shifting performance. I have never been able to detect a difference in "feel" between the two. Perhaps your experience is from groups made in different years.
I'm using a Dura Ace group from 2000/2001.

Dura Ace has historically been heavier in use compared to Ultegra and 105. In a similar way to the difference between a stock gear shift and a competition gear shift in a car. The competition one is normally more positive and isn't designed to be shifted with your finger tips.

Dura Ace costs more for several reasons, it's the cutting edge of Shimano's range, the materials used in the shifters and mechs etc are more robust and it's light to boot. The production tolerances and QC are more stringent for DA, indeed the only time I've ever sent a DA part back was due to airline abuse and I was suprised that the importer replaced the part!

The one place Shimano has always been weak is chains, cassettes and chainrings. If you use SRAM chains the cassette lasts a whole lot longer as do the rings.

I speak not only from my experience with my own bike but also from what I have seen whilst working in the cycle industry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a used 87 cannondale criterium with the original shimano 600 drivetrain. It still performs like it did when new I am sure. It always shifts very crisp(using downtube shifters of course :p) I have never had a problem. I am kinda OCD when it comes to cleaning my bikes and keeping them in tune though. It really matters on how you take care of your components.:)

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
lancerracer said:
There was acctually an interview done with a guy from shimano saying he doesnt realized why more people are using 105. I he said it offers most of the performance of ultegra and dura ace at more than half the price...and this is coming from a shimano guy...

INCONCEIVABLE!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.