Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether the differences in these pedals makes the extra cost of the dura ace worth it-seems only to be a 30 gram weight difference-guessing cost difference due to bearing systems but can't figure out what else would substantiate the big cost difference

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
stevesbike said:
was wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether the differences in these pedals makes the extra cost of the dura ace worth it-seems only to be a 30 gram weight difference-guessing cost difference due to bearing systems but can't figure out what else would substantiate the big cost difference
More than anything, you are paying for the decal.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the Ultegra and I think they work great. The bearings are differant as well as the weight. You can also get them for under $90.00 new on Ebay

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
stevesbike said:
Dura Ace has a lower platform and the bearings will outlast Ultegra by a long time.

Mate of mine runs SPD-SL. His Dura Ace are the first generation and running fine. His Ultegras which are just over a year old feel worse than the older, more used DA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought Dura Ace pedals on Ebay. Brand new. I am also a brand new rider (seven weeks). The pedals are very stiff even after adjustment. I have fallen 3 times trying to get out of the pedals. Between the stiffness and the exhaustion of the ride, I just 'rode' the pedals without engaging them for the remaining 10 miles of the ride. I heard you can change the springs in the pedals to loosen them up. On the other hand, they may be just too much for a beginning rider. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have both DA and Ultegra, a paif DA on my main roade bike and two pairs of Ultegra's on my other, less ridden bikes. I can't tell a difference at all functionally.

There is a cosmetic difference on the finish, but after 18months my DA pedals are so scuffed and scrapped that it doesn't even matter to me. Also the Ultegra you can use a allen wrench or pedal wrench, the Da sit in closer to the pedal and only use a allen wrench.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Training

I just bought Dura Ace pedals on Ebay. Brand new. I am also a brand new rider (seven weeks). The pedals are very stiff even after adjustment. I have fallen 3 times trying to get out of the pedals. Between the stiffness and the exhaustion of the ride, I just 'rode' the pedals without engaging them for the remaining 10 miles of the ride. I heard you can change the springs in the pedals to loosen them up. On the other hand, they may be just too much for a beginning rider. Any ideas? Thanks
Did you ride some other pedals before and disengage with no problems? If so, then consider trying to get some lube on various contact points and machinery. On the contact points, wax is your best bet as it won't pick up dirt - candle wax works fine. If you didn't have pedals working for you before, you might consider the fact that this is not a normal movement, and it may just take some time to develop both the muscles and the correct motion to make it work.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Used-ta-be that DA pedals had 3 sets of bearings and all others had only 2. Whether that's still true I don't know, but if it is, it might be a difference worth paying for.

--Shannon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts