Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bulding up a bike and I am trying to decide between the two. I need the drivetrain + brakes. I have looked and the diference between the two pricewise is about $250.

Is there a noticable diff between the two or does it come down to affordability vs. decadence?

How about mix/match ideas?

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Definitely mix n match

hardtail6 said:
I am bulding up a bike and I am trying to decide between the two. I need the drivetrain + brakes. I have looked and the diference between the two pricewise is about $250.

Is there a noticable diff between the two or does it come down to affordability vs. decadence?

I have a hard time paying retail for D/A. That said, I've found semi-used parts for Ultegra (or less) prices for the D/A components I own...

If you need parts NOW, I'd go D/A shifters and rear derailleur, Ultegra everything else. Ultegra is within grams of D/A and costs less money. Why D/A shifters? They feel different than the Ultegras and I like that feel better. R. der? just 'cause it is nicer.

I have a tendency to buy Ultegra cassettes regardless of what hubs I'm running. Ditto with chains (that or Sachs chains).

That help?

Mike

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
9 or 10

With regard to a new build the real question is do you want to go with 9-speed which will gradually be outdated, or go with the new Dura-Ace or even Campy 10-speed. If you have already decided on 9-speed then I agree that D-A shifters are probably worth the extra cost, especially since 9-speed D-A is generally discounted now that it is being replaced with 10-speed.
~Al

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Delicate Sound of Thunder

One motivation to go with DuraAce shifters might be to avoid the annoying rattle that seems to develop in Ultregra shifters. The rattle is enought to spoil any ride.

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
I second D/A shifters and R. der.

The shifters are smoother and you don't get the rattle of the Ultegra shifters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ultegrace

The performance difference isn't as great as the price difference IMO. Better on the 9 since the 10 came out. Never had the ultegra rattle problem though I've certainly heard about it. Try both sets of shifters on a ride if you can. They are somewhat different in shape. One may fit you better.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My recommendation would be..

hardtail6 said:

Use Dura-Ace shifters. They are much more crisp than the Ultegras and don't tend to rattle. Something many here are aware that Ultegra's do. They also have bearings in the shifters where the Ultegras use some bushings instead. Minor differences at first, but major differences in the longevity of the shifter's life.

You can pretty much go Ultegra on everything else, and even non-Shimano on some parts like chain, cassette, brakes, crank...

I would use a SRAM chain and cassette over the Ultegra stuff. I like the performance and I can get it cheaper than Shimano's stuff right now. Also, there are a bunch of really nice cranks on the market that are not Shimano. I like the Truvative Rouleur or FSA Energy, but you may have to use an ISIS BB with them. I have heard all the negatives about ISIS, but I am pretty convinced the issue is with the first several runs of MTB bottom brackets. I have an FSA Platinium Ti and have had no issues with it in the year I have owned it. As for brakes, you can get a set of Tektro brakes pretty cheap and some say they are as good as at least 105 brakes. So there are plenty of options out there, just look around and check out the reviews here on whatever you are looking at. There is no law that says you must use all the parts in a groupo. Also, if money is a concern, stay away from boutique wheelsets as they often don't offer anything more than an inflated price tag to most riders. Stick with traditional wheels and invest that money in better tires instead.

Russ

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dura-Ace STI, anything else Ultegra

As most others I suggest going Dura-Ace STI, anything else could be Ultegra. I have two bikes, one all decked out with Dura-Ace the other with mixed components. Main difference is the feel of the shifters. Dura-Ace is a huge step up. Dearilure syou won't notice. Ultegra brakes are actually great.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I'm going to reply to my own post 'cause I thought about it more...

MShaw said:
I have a hard time paying retail for D/A. That said, I've found semi-used parts for Ultegra (or less) prices for the D/A components I own...

If you need parts NOW, I'd go D/A shifters and rear derailleur, Ultegra everything else. Ultegra is within grams of D/A and costs less money. Why D/A shifters? They feel different than the Ultegras and I like that feel better. R. der? just 'cause it is nicer.

I have a tendency to buy Ultegra cassettes regardless of what hubs I'm running. Ditto with chains (that or Sachs chains).

That help?

Mike
...If you're mixing and matching, why not go Campy 10v Ergo and rear der.? That way you could run S9 & S10 cassettes without changing shifters.

I set up a friend's Litespeed with C10. Didn't have the C10 rear wheel to set the gears up so I used an S9 wheel. Shifted just like it was meant to be there. When I got the C10 wheel built, all I did was re-adjust the set screws and viola! instant C10.

I'm planning on going the same route here real soon. I miss my Campy shifters, but don't particularly think that Campy has the best design everywhere. (that and I have 9 pair of Shimano compatible wheels!)

I'm waiting till Shimano brings out Ultegra 10s before I upgrade. Don't want to pay out almost $900 for cassettes!

Mike (again)

·
Registered
144 Posts
hardtail6 said:

Another vote for Dura Ace for the shift/brake levers, Ultegra everything else. One thing about the shifters - though they feel smoother than the Ultegra's, I have been told they are less durable by local shops (this was when I was replacing my broken DA shifters - they were 4 years old, and the ratcheting mechanism failed in the left shifter - not repairable - but since a set costs about what an individual lever costs, I now have a new set and love 'em)

·
Registered
88 Posts
mix n match

i have two bikes, one set with da and one with mostly ultegra. i would say go with the da shifters - my ultegras rattle (and they are newer than the das). if you are going for a triple set up, get the ultegra cranks - i have no problems with the triple shifting (da front deraileur on the ultegra triple) and have been told by others that the ultegra triple chainrings shift better than the da. my ultegra rear deraileur works identically to my da. you might want to look at the da or third party (keops??) if you want to save weight - the ultegra cassettes are kind of heavy.

fyi - i did put da 7700 brakes on one bike and the new da 7800 brakes on the other and i definitely like the feeling of the 7800s better. then again, i have heard that the ultegra brakes are stiffer than the 7700s.

fwiw- if i had it to do again, i would have set up the second bike with the campy 10 shifters and then get one of the remfgd shimano 10 cassettes (like from american classic) and put it on my shimano 9 speed wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts