Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Go for handbuilts

I don't subscribe completely to the "if you are over 180lbs you have to ride 36 hole Velocity Deep Vs" philosophy, but clearly at our size more spokes are better.

I have not ridden the D/A wheels, but I have ridden Rolf's, Mavics, Velomax, and a bunch of other prebuilt wheels and I'm 6'5" 250lbs. All of them worked, but I then rode a set of handbuilts and the quality and ride was WAY better. You should check out some of the custom builders like Mike Garcia at www.oddsandendos.com. He just built me a new set of Velocity Aerohead/DT Swiss 240s wheels. Both 32 spoke wheels, yet all told will be lighter than most of the production wheels (but not STUPID light). The DT hubs have enough bling factor to satisfy the Fred in me while still having a bomb proof set of wheels.

Otherwise most of the factory wheels will work so long as you stay away from the stupid light carbon or REALLY low spoke count wheels. I have friends a lot bigger than me that ride Ksyriums and love them. I just know that my wheels cost way less, should last longer, and I can service them myself. If I ever break a spoke I can replace it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Dura Ace wheels are unquestionably the strongest wheels I've ever ridden. I've raced and trained on Dura Ace wheels for 2 years now, and haven't had a single problem with them (I have 2 sets of them). I've also raced and trained on Mavic SSC SLs. In comparing the two wheelsets, I noticed a slight weight difference in Mavic's favor. However, the Dura Ace wheels are much more aerodynamic, have a smoother ride and have better lateral rigidity. I'm friends with a guy who raced a set of Mavics for a season, and towards the season's end, he needed to do some serious work on the wheelset, because his rim and cones had worn/fatigued? so much that his rim consistantly touched his loosened brakes during hard riding. The shimano wheels are stronger laterally and are much more areodynamic. For a heavy guy, I don't think the Dura Ace wheels are a bad choice at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts