Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
281 Posts
How's the shifting quality compared to 7800? I don't need the "how it works" part but rather the perceived differences while sprinting, climbing, braking, etc. I'm so jealous. Nice ride BTW.

·
MING
419 Posts
i like the shifting. compared to campy, the 7900 feels alot lighter/less effort on the lever, the shifting is not stiff. compared to dura ace 7800 upshifting feels the same. the downshift paddle has a further point of engagement on 7900 than on 7800, it has to be pushed in further to register a shift. i noticed more difference in shifting in the front than shifting in the rear. the front shifting is alot quicker than i am used to on campy or 7800, i have no experience with sram shifting.

with my other bikes when i shift from the small ring to the big ring i usually do a light pedal stroke or two to make sure i get the shift. i dont have to let up at all on the 7900. i shouls note i do my own wrenching and am far from good, so part can be attributed to that. but i feel confident in the shifting, in my first weekend i only missed 2 shifts.

when i hammer down and shift the shifting gets a little clunky, but that happens with everything. i like the new lever set up. the outward sweep to the blades fits my hands better.

hope that helps

campy has more work involved in the shift throw

·
Banned
281 Posts
I own all three component groups: DA 7800, Sram Force, and Campy Record/Chorus group with 07 QS shifters. DA has always been the smoothest in terms of shifting compared to Sram and Campy but I'm surprised that there's any noticeable difference for front derailleur shifting in the new DA compared to old DA. I wrench all my bikes and I've never had trouble with front shifting, except for rare occasions when I tighten the cable too much and upshift push the chain from the big ring down to the pedals.

As a weight whiner, I think the most cost effective set up for 2008-2009 is still DA 7800 parts with Sram Shifters and derailleurs (force or red would both be great). Those new DA shifters are still very fat IMHO. Thank you for the feedbacks.

kreger said:
i like the shifting. compared to campy, the 7900 feels alot lighter/less effort on the lever, the shifting is not stiff. compared to dura ace 7800 upshifting feels the same. the downshift paddle has a further point of engagement on 7900 than on 7800, it has to be pushed in further to register a shift. i noticed more difference in shifting in the front than shifting in the rear. the front shifting is alot quicker than i am used to on campy or 7800, i have no experience with sram shifting.

with my other bikes when i shift from the small ring to the big ring i usually do a light pedal stroke or two to make sure i get the shift. i dont have to let up at all on the 7900. i shouls note i do my own wrenching and am far from good, so part can be attributed to that. but i feel confident in the shifting, in my first weekend i only missed 2 shifts.

when i hammer down and shift the shifting gets a little clunky, but that happens with everything. i like the new lever set up. the outward sweep to the blades fits my hands better.

hope that helps

campy has more work involved in the shift throw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.