Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reason why this combination won't work? As I shift to from the smallest to larger cogs, it over-shifts on the 7th or 8th cog. I didn't feel like fussing with it so I've been using it in friction mode which isn't all that hard. Should I go back and put some time into making it work, or just live with it like it is?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Are they 8 or 9 speed Bar ends ??

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Which side of the pinch bolt are you attaching...

the cable, it does make a difference. Switch the cable to the other side of the pinch bolt and adjust the slack out then try shifting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's what I run on both of my bikes

I run the D/A 8/9 speed barcon - 9 speed XT combination on both of my bikes. One bike has an 8 speed cassette, the other a 9. It should, and will, work, without futzing with cable attachment points on the rear derailleur. Two possibilities spring to mind: your derailleur cable tension is too high, in which case you need to loosen it slightly, or your inner cable and housing need to be lubed / replaced.

Trent

·
Registered
591 Posts
barcons

rusa1586 said:
Any reason why this combination won't work? As I shift to from the smallest to larger cogs, it over-shifts on the 7th or 8th cog. I didn't feel like fussing with it so I've been using it in friction mode which isn't all that hard. Should I go back and put some time into making it work, or just live with it like it is?
If the shifter AND casette are 9 speed it should work. Same for 8 speed as long as the shifter is not 8 speed DA. The cable attachment at the RD has to be in the correct normal position. If you are trying to use a 9 speed shifter with an 8 speed casette,it won't work, unless the RD is a pre 9 speed DA.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
problem I had

rusa1586 said:
I tried downtube Dura Ace shifters with an XTR rear derailleur and cassette on a climbing bike. I could get it to shift, but the shifters would not hold the derailleur in the large cog position. While the shifters were in indexed mode, they just did not have enough "power" against the derailleur return spring. I gave up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rusty Coggs said:
If the shifter AND casette are 9 speed it should work. Same for 8 speed as long as the shifter is not 8 speed DA. The cable attachment at the RD has to be in the correct normal position. If you are trying to use a 9 speed shifter with an 8 speed casette,it won't work, unless the RD is a pre 9 speed DA.
Not true. I'm using

--8/9 speed DA barcons
--9 speed XT rear der
--8 speed cassette

and it works beautifully. Photos available on request.

·
Registered
591 Posts
just lucky

Trent in WA said:
Not true. I'm using

--8/9 speed DA barcons
--9 speed XT rear der
--8 speed cassette

and it works beautifully. Photos available on request.
8 speed cog spacing is 4.8mm and 9 speed is 4.34mm. I use the 9 speed barcons with a pre 9 speed DA RD and it works perfectly on an 8 speed casette because the pre 9 sopeed DA has a different throw ratio.It may be possible to get the same result witha non pre 9 speed DA RD witha different cable mount at the RD.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Juanmoretime

Switching the cable as you suggested did the trick. Indexes fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts