Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a great deal on a Bianchi San Lorenzo on ebay, but after e-mailing the owner, he says the DA components are in good working order even though they have been through about 12,000 miles. My question is: how many miles can these DA components last, given that I put mostly training miles in with some races? The owner says that i his other bike has 25,000 miles on the components.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Here's a 1988(?) DA crank spindle i snapped a few years ago. not sure of the mileage, but somewhere north of 25k.

If you're going to be riding the old stuff, i'd definitely go through everything with a fine-tooth comb. Swap out bearings, cables, chain, etc.. at the very minimum.

If you have some dough, find a new crankset, bb, and wheelset.

Good luck with your new ride.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I have an all Campy bike, but it's hard not to admit that Dura Ace is darn nice stuff. I'd say normally, it's one of the best choices you can make.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Everything breaks

hanson_timothy said:
Here's a 1988(?) DA crank spindle i snapped a few years ago. not sure of the mileage, but somewhere north of 25k.
You can find cases where EVERYTHING has broken prematurely. Statistically, 25K miles is not very old for top line equipment. To the OP: DA with 12K miles is not very "worn out." Could it fail tomorrow? Sure. Is that likely? Not very. Assuming it has been well maintained, that stuff should last for 10s of thousands of miles more.

·
Registered
690 Posts
A DA groupo w/ 12k miles is just gettin' warmed up I say. I have a DA 9 spd groupo w/ over 40k miles on it...the shifters still work perfect. things i've replaced over the years include rings, cassette, cables, derailleur pulleys, brake pads, and BB. Pretty standard wear & tear.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
To the OP: it all depends on how well that D/A has been maintained.

I know guys that trash their stuff on a yearly basis and I know guys (me) that can ride the same parts for most of a decade without issue.

As always: Caveat Emptor

M

·
C 1/5
613 Posts
I agree with others, I put about 10k on my DA10 stuff and experienced no problems. The only things I replaced in that time were cassettes, chains, and a bottom bracket. If the owner has maintained them well, they will last for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.