Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the bottom bracket on my basically stock 06 langster is already creeking/clacking/growning, with only 100 miles on the bike!

Anyone have any recommendations for a very durable bottom bracket?

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Have you made sure the crank bolts / chain ring bolts / bottom bracket cups are all tightened down? If the bike is new things loosen in the first few months... and on fixed you'll be tightening things down more just due to the forces exerted on the crank/bb during riding.

If it really is the bottom bracket, get a Shimano cartridge... they're cheap, sealed well, and last a while.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ditto on the Shimano recommendation; their cartridge BBs are the only things Shimano makes that I really like. They're relatively cheap and the installation is idiot-proof (and I should know). In two are three years it will start making noises; just pull it out and screw in a new one. Last time I looked, they were less than 30 bucks.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
warranty?

100 miles seems WAY too fast for a BB to fail. It might still be under warranty, if it has. The stock BB on my Pista failed after a couple years and 4000-5000 miles. I think a contributing factor was that I probably over-tightened the chain alot of times during that first couple years of fixie riding. Now I keep a teensy bit of looseness in my chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.