Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using michelin Carbon's on my durace 7800 wheelsets. I've mounted and dismounted over 100 tires, but it's just plain pain to mount the carbon's. I only went with them cause it's durable, decent grip while still relatively light. I use my bike mainly for commuting to work, so being stopped on the side of road for 20minutes trying to mount/dismount a tire is just frustrating. Any other tires out there that is good and easy to put on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hard to mount tires

After they are mounted once, they are much easier to mount/dismount. Pedro's tire levers help immensely.

Think of it like this-having tires difficult to mount/dismount means they are less likely to dismount when you have a flat-like on a steep downgrade.

Michelin's are designed to run on the minimum spec of the ETRTO standards. (spec for bike tires).

Good luck!!!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Give Maxxis tires a try: they mount much easier than Michelin skins. The Maxxis Hors Categorie tires inspire more confidence in the wet, and over their life they were just as puncture resistant as the Carbons, for me.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
bluesaint said:
I'm currently using michelin Carbon's on my durace 7800 wheelsets. I've mounted and dismounted over 100 tires, but it's just plain pain to mount the carbon's. I only went with them cause it's durable, decent grip while still relatively light. I use my bike mainly for commuting to work, so being stopped on the side of road for 20minutes trying to mount/dismount a tire is just frustrating. Any other tires out there that is good and easy to put on?
Commuting on 7800s? Get some wheels with nice deep Open Pros and you won't have to worry about which tires you use. - TF

·
Registered
985 Posts
bluesaint said:
Conti Gran Prix (I mean original Gran Prix, without any numbers). They satisfy all your requirments.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I think this has as much to do with the rims as it does the tires. Campy rims are notorious for being difficult to mount tires on. I have Campy rims & also wheels with Mavic Open Pros. I almost always use Michelins, and they almost mount themselves on the Mavics. With the Campys, I have to use a zip tool to mount them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
vred fortezza...

durable, easy r&r, reasonable price...

better on all counts than conti, mich, specialized imo

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
bluesaint said:
Like others have said, a good lever set is important. You need three. You probably already know that. As for a tire, have you considered Specialized? I have the All Conditions Pro on my roadie (came with them) and they are a bit surprising. I know they're not the sexiest tire out there, but the "flak jacket" really seems to work at reducing the number of flats, and since they can take 125psi they roll well. I can't speak about traction because I'm a conservative rider and try to avoid the edge of the envelope. I did go down recently, but that was due to a patch of wet leaves. The tires stuck to them. They just didn't stick to the pavement :mad:

We have a section of paved trail around here that goes without a stop sign for more than two miles. The trouble is the homeless gather on it at night and smash bottles. It's littered with glass fragments for nearly a mile where they congregate. The first time I ran through it I thought I'd have two flats in a hundred yards. Now I don't even think about flats when riding that section- never had one there, though I try to avoid the big pieces. On the minus side, after 500+ miles without a flat I just got two flats in two rides. I don't know what the culprit was since there was nothing in the tire or tube except a tiny pinhole both times. I'm guessing it was probably puncture vine thorns. I really, really dislike puncture vine.

L33

1 - 10 of 10 Posts