Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks—

I'm about 175 lbs, 5'9", and will ride long-distance with up to 40 lbs of gear in panniers and trunk bag. I ride in all weather (no snow yet as I live in North Florida) and have to frequently deal with road grime. My last wheelset ran Mavic CXP22 rims with the Clark's all-weather pads (Clarks 55mm Replacement Pads | Chain Reaction Cycles). I got probably around 5,000–6,000 miles out of the rims before VERY visible rim wear told me I should replace the rims.

I replaced the rims with a fresh set of Mavic CXP Elites, having had VERY good experience with the CXP22's durability for the type of riding I do. I made sure to put on a fresh set of pads (same Clark's; they work GREAT in the wet). I'm hoping I can get more than 6,000 miles out of these rims, but I'm not sure.

My question is this: Is there a rim that provides the durability of the CXP22/CXP Elite (32h, DT Swiss SS spokes, 105 hubs), yet provides a longer wearing braking surface?

Thanks,

Henry

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I asked a similar question a while ago. You can probably find it by searching my handle on this branch.

By the way, brake pads that work GREAT in wet are probably speeding up the wear or your rims. Probably by a trivial amount compared to what riding in rain and picking up grit does though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, thanks, Jay? Your thread was informative. The one thing I noticed was the mention of ceramic rims.

To all involved/listening: does a ceramic braking surface markedly affect brake performance? (I intend to ride CycleNorthGeorgia.com Home of the Six Gap Century this year, and it has a 2 mile 15% descent at one point) Do ceramic surfaces wear appreciably longer? Do they require special pads? Do they have appreciably worse convective heat dissipation characteristics?

Thanks,

Henry

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Ceramic coated rims are no longer made for very good reasons. Sturdy rims for what you want to do are the H+Son (Archetype, TB14), the DT Swiss T540 and the HED C2 or C2+

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are rims made with a similar technology, called CSS. European manufacturer Ryde (maybe better known under their former name Rigida) offers them.
As with ceramic rims the CSS rims need special made brake pads. Those are available from Kool-Stop and not very expensiv.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I replaced a rear HED C2 rim at ~10k miles due the tracks being worn to the point that the wear indicating divots were no longer there. Very few of these miles were in wet gritty conditions.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Ummmm, this IS an application where disc brakes have an advantage over rim brakes - replace a disc for $25 instead of an expensive wheel.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
ummmm, this is an application where disc brakes have an advantage over rim brakes - replace a disc for $25 instead of an expensive rim.
fify.

Of course your paid $25 for that disk when you bought the wheel, so all else equal the disc wheel was $25 more to begin with. After replacing it once, having a disc cost you $50. And, after replacing the disc, you still halve your old dented and wiggly rim instead of a nice straight new one.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
fify.

Of course your paid $25 for that disk when you bought the wheel, so all else equal the disc wheel was $25 more to begin with. After replacing it once, having a disc cost you $50. And, after replacing the disc, you still halve your old dented and wiggly rim instead of a nice straight new one.
These days, wheels at the level he's talking about are almost the same or less $$ than a rim, spokes, and $60+ labor. He didn't state that the rims were in poor shape by the time the braking surface wore out so there's no reason to think a disc rim wouldn't survive the loads just as well.

None of this recognizes the fact that the OP doesn't have a disc equipped bike so it's probably a moot point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.