Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LBS is trying to convince me to purchase a 10 speed durace chain for my centaur solist. There reasons are that it's less expensive to maintain (pins are cheaper) and that the durace are quieter than the campy chains. I am surprised by there push as they are generally a pro-campy store. I've been very happy dealing with them overal... but am unsure with this issue. fyi Up until now, I've bee using a loud wipperman chain... but with good results.

thanks
rich

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
probably OK...

The new campy ultra narrow and the DA chain are essentially the same width. As for maintenance costs, that depends on your maintenance technique. I use a 6/1 mix of mineral spirits and synthetic motor oil applied after nearly every ride. Applying the lube generously and wiping thoroughly, the chain really never needs to be removed for cleaning.

If you need to remove either of these chains frequently, buy a wipperman connex link for the shimano version of their 10 speed chain (it's narrower), then you never have to worry about replacement pins.

There have been a number of postings about short DA 10 chain life. Don't know why since, the wear surface is not that much less. Proberly maintained, it's not hard to get 5,000 miles from a campy 10 chain. Much more is possible. I'm still debating whether to change mine at 6,000 miles, since it shows little elongation. Chains also suffer from side wear. Some folks think the looser the chain the better, so they can run the forbidden extreme chainlines. I'm not sure I buy into that idea.

·
Know It All
152 Posts
Zinn says that a 10 speed dura ace chain with a 10 speed campy drivetrain is a bad idea. I use a 9 speed SRAM chain on my centuar and it works fine (zinn also recomends this). Why pay more for the dura ace chain when you don't have to?

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7601.0.html

Dear Lennard,
Maybe this topic has been discussed, but I cannot seem to find it. I recently replaced my Campagnolo 10-speed chain on my Chorus 10-speed with a Dura-Ace chain at the advice of some local shop mechanics. I now seem to be having a bit of trouble shifting between the large and small chainring. Sometimes the chain seems to get somewhat stuck between the large and small chainring. I did remove my chainrings and reinstall them to clean them when I changed the chain, but all the marks are lined up as they should be, and the chainring bolts are tight. Have you heard any reports of using the Dura-Ace 10 chain on Campy 10 and these types of issues? I have a race this weekend and would like to replace the chain again if this is a known issue.
Jason

Dear Jason,
It sounds like, although you did not specifically say so, that you replaced the Campy 10-speed chain with a Dura-Ace 10-speed chain (as opposed to a Dura-Ace 9-speed chain). If that is indeed what you did, I definitely recommend against it for exactly the reasons you cite. The Shimano 10-speed chain is considerably narrower than the Campy 10-speed chain, while the Shimano 9-speed chain is close to the same width as the Campy 10-speed chain. I have successfully used a Dura-Ace 9-speed chain on a Campy 10-speed system with no problems, and I know lots of other people who have as well. Of course, Campagnolo recommends against using any chain other than its own 10-speed chain with its drivetrain.
Lennard
The topic comes up in other Q&As too.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
a bit out of date..

Zinn's statement about the DA 9 being close to the width of a the original campy 10 chain is accurate. The new campy 10 ultra narrow and the DA 10 are essentially identical in width.

The warning about possible front shifting problems is not unfounded, though. It will be interesting to see if users of the campy ultra narrow experience this problem. Although campy narrowed the chain I haven't seen any change to the chainring spacing.

http://www.campagnolo.com/newprodc.php

The original poster has little to lose by trying the DA 10 chain, if it's at the recommendation of his LBS. I'd tell them fine, put it on and if the front shifting is lousy you can change it to a campy chain at no cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the responses. The durace 10 speed chain is also between 20 and 30$ (Canadian) less than the record chain. I actually never thought of adding the connex link to the campy or durace chain. Does this have any drawback...

I generally like to take the chain off 2 maybe 3 times in a season to clean it thouroughly... and the use of the connex link is interesting.

I will talk to my lbs as for the issues described. And Deln, did you use the sram on a 10 speed centaur?

c-40 ... I am curious with regards to the issue with the narrow chain. It will be interesting to see how that play out.

·
Know It All
152 Posts
onbelay said:
And Deln, did you use the sram on a 10 speed centaur?
Yeah, I have a SRAM PC69 chain on right now and it works fine -- I'm sure their nicer chains will work well too.. SRAM chains come with a connex like quick link. I've also used a connex link on a campy chain and it works well.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
SRAM is too wide..

The SRAM 9 speed chain is the same width as an old Campy 9 chain. I've tried this combo and found that it made adjusting the RD much more sensitive, since there is hardly any clearance between the chain and cogs. Campy made the 10 speed chain narrower for good reason, then made it even narrower after 6 years of production.

As for the cost difference, your LBS must be ripping you off. Looks to me like the difference should be $10 Canadian.

http://labicicletta.com/edatcat/cad/tlsstore.cgi?user_action=list&category=Chains

A low initial cost does not always mean you'll get the lowest cost per mile. Some folks spend more buying and tossing $20 shimano ultegra chains frequently than I do on Campy chains.

There is no disadvantage to using a connex link, but if you only remove the chain a few times over it's life, wait until the first removal to install the connex link. With a campy chain, just be sure to remove the HD-L pin when installing the link. It's not too tough to identify.

·
Registered
302 Posts
C-40 said:
Zinn's statement about the DA 9 being close to the width of a the original campy 10 chain is accurate. QUOTE]

Close but no cigar - My LBS convinced me to try a DA9 chain on my chorus 10sp some time back. Shifting was OK but it seemed to be a shade too snug a fit through the derailleur cage - it sounded like my grandad's old chaff-cutter, so I abandoned the idea and put the chain on my 9sp MTB.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
FD is adjustable...

Armchair Spaceman said:
C-40 said:
Zinn's statement about the DA 9 being close to the width of a the original campy 10 chain is accurate. QUOTE]

Close but no cigar - My LBS convinced me to try a DA9 chain on my chorus 10sp some time back. Shifting was OK but it seemed to be a shade too snug a fit through the derailleur cage - it sounded like my grandad's old chaff-cutter, so I abandoned the idea and put the chain on my 9sp MTB.
I've experienced no FD problems with an even wider SRAM 9 chain. Sounds to me like you needed 1/8 turn out on the limit screws.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I prefer DA-10 chains on my Campy bike. I don't know why, but they run quieter than C-10 chains. Shifting has never even stuttered.

One more thing: I just got a bunch of the new IRD 10s chains in. They look great - black! (They're not those stupid teflon-coated chains, though.) I won't have the chance to ride one anytime soon (new-ish DA10 chain on right now), but it seems like a viable option...and they're MSRP of US$20, I think. I'll shoot some photos when I get a chance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts