Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Someone wants to win the ugly trophy pictured above. That someone will likely be riding for either Omega Pharma-Quick Step or Sky I think.
In a field not overly burdened with star-power - those two teams stand out.

Omega Pharma-Quick Step: Sylvain Chavanel* and Niki Terpstra*
Sky: Geraint Thomas and Ben Swift
RadioShack Leopard Trek: Stijn Devolder and Bob Jungels
Saxo-Tinkoff: Matti Breschel* and Michael Morkov
IAM: Heinrich Haussler and Gustav Eric Larsson
Europcar: Thomas Voelckler and Bryan Coquard

*Former winners here include Chavanel (2008), Breschel (2010) and Terpstra (2012).

Given this constellation, I'm betting this race falls to Sylvain Chavanel with Geraint Thomas and Thomas Voeckler making podium appearences.

Startlist:

Startlist Dwars door Vlaanderen / A travers la Flandre, Dwars door Vlaanderen 2013 - CyclingFever - The International Cycling Social Network - Get the Cycling fever!

Race Profile:

Race Map:

Terpstra To Defend Race Number One At Dwars Door Vlaanderen | Cyclingnews.com

Devolder With Opportunity To Prove Himself At Dwars Door Vlaanderen | Cyclingnews.com

Thomas Won't Necessarily Lead Sky In Key Flanders Warm-up | Cyclingnews.com

Garmin Sharp To Dwars Door Vlaanderen Without Clear Leader | Cyclingnews.com

On The Startline Of Dwars Door Vlaanderen | Cyclingnews.com

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Results

Dwars door Vlaanderen

Thomas Voeckler of Europcar soloed away from a breakaway group and had the win wrapped-up with-in three meters of the line.

But then Oscar Gatto of Vini Fantini, and a small chasing group, piped Voeckler at the line to take the win!

That stings! :blush2:

1) Oscar Gatto (Vini Fantini)
2) Borut Bozic (Astana)
3) Matt Hayman (Sky)

Tommy Voeckler was relegated to 5th place.

Dwars Door Vlaanderen Results | Cyclingnews.com

On The Startline Of Dwars Door Vlaanderen | Cyclingnews.com

Bauer Sustains Concussion In Dwars Door Vlaanderen Crash | Cyclingnews.com

Voeckler Narrowly Denied In Dwars Door Vlaanderen Escape | Cyclingnews.com

Gatto Makes History With Dwars Door Vlaanderen Victory | Cyclingnews.com

Hayman Confirms Classics Form With Dwars Door Vlaanderen Podium Finish | Cyclingnews.com

Astana Animates Dwars Door Vlaanderen | Cyclingnews.com

Lefevere Laments Missed Opportunity In Dwars Door Vlaanderen | Cyclingnews.com

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
That really was disappointing to watch. I was even more disappointed to see Gatto win. He sat on the back for the last 15 km and did zero work. Bozic sat in for he last 8 km, but he at least did some work. Voekler was sort of dangled like a piece of fruit. I thought when he had it up to 17 seconds he had a chance for the win.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing predictable about this finish was the failure of my prediction! :D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
That was a thrilling race. Best race of the year yet, hands down. Last years edition was good too, is DdV underrated?

I can't get a feel for whether Ian Stannard is good or not. Every British commentator is in love with him and he seems to get into big moves, but he never finishes well.

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
That was a thrilling race. Best race of the year yet, hands down. Last years edition was good too, is DdV underrated?

I can't get a feel for whether Ian Stannard is good or not. Every British commentator is in love with him and he seems to get into big moves, but he never finishes well.
He's a strong guy, huge motor but he doesn't race smart, often ends up pulling his opponents too much so he can't fight for the line.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That really was disappointing to watch. I was even more disappointed to see Gatto win. He sat on the back for the last 15 km and did zero work. Bozic sat in for he last 8 km, but he at least did some work. Voekler was sort of dangled like a piece of fruit. I thought when he had it up to 17 seconds he had a chance for the win.
Gatto was right to sat on the back considering there were 3 teams represented by 2 riders in the break.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
He did the work necessary to avoid being dropped and then he did the work necessary to win. The situation worked out so that he was not obligated to pull/chase (outnumbered). Smart racing wins, not dragging your opponents to the finish.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yup Gatto and Hayman had team mates doing the 'work' for them
that's the unspoken rule in a break
also why Tommy took a flyer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.