Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago my dog went into heart failure. He spent two days in the hospital. He had quality time for the past year. Now he is sick again. We still did not pay off the $2400 bill from the last hospital bill. I spoke to the cardiologist. He said that there was only a small chance that he could be brought back again for a short time, and it may be kidney failure which means that nothing can be done. My wife is heartbroken, and cannot let go.
He is 14 /2 years old. A sweeter soul never walked the Earth.
We are not rich people, and another $2400 hit would really hurt.
Thanks for listening. I know that to some this may seem trivial, but feelings are feelings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Let him go.As hard as it is, its the right thing for you and your best friend.Just recently had to say goodbye to two pets within several months of each other.Isn't fair to them and you to keep them around. :(

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
So sorry to hear of it.

First off, understand this: It isn't about the money. The decision you'd make rich ought to be the same one you'd make poor.

Second, know this: There's not a wrong decision. But there are a million ways to second-guess whichever decision you do make. Stop that.

Third, you will anyway. A couple of dogs back, I amputated my Greyhound's leg when it shattered due to bone cancer, knowing full well that it was likely metastisized and we were most likely only buying a few months. It was rough on all of us for a while, then we had a few good months, then it was rough again. And that's the part I know about. He was a trooper - hard telling what agony I never knew of. I still don't know if I did the right thing, five years on. All in, he'd have netted more happiness in his life had I decided differently. And I'd have more memories of joy than of pain. But it happened so suddenly, and at that moment, I wasn't ready to make that decision. And there were good times - watching a three legged dog still manage to somehow lift one to pee on a hydrant is a miracle in it's own right.

Fourth, animals live in the present moment. They aren't capable of regretting the past, nor of pining for a future that may not come to pass. They only know now. If now is pain... They also can't tell us adequately what hurts, or what feels better. They don't have the capacity to understand multiple futures, nor to choose between them.

The final gift is the hardest to give. Be at peace with that.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It does sound as if it's time to make that hard decision and us pet owners realize how hard it is. You're doing the right time.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just spoke to my local vet. He said that the dog will not have a quality of life. He said that there is a good chance that the kidneys have failed from the medication. Also, he will go back into heart failure. I will bring him in tomorrow and do not what I want to, but what I must do.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Henry Porter said:
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It does sound as if it's time to make that hard decision and us pet owners realize how hard it is. You're doing the right time.
I had him for 14 1/2 years. I wanted more.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
daniell said:
I just spoke to my local vet. He said that the dog will not have a quality of life. He said that there is a good chance that the kidneys have failed from the medication. Also, he will go back into heart failure. I will bring him in tomorrow and do not what I want to, but what I must do.
I've been there more times than I'd like. We lost our 5 year old boxer mix last Christmas to stomach cancer. We had no idea he was even sick until something ruptured--he went downhill quickly overnight and we had just that next morning to say goodbye to him before we put him down. If they can't have quality of life then don't prolong it. Let him go and not suffer anymore. Remember him as he was.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
my experience

Henry Porter said:

Our Doberman "Ginger" was literally my spouse's child. This dog was extremely protective of my spouse and usually "tolerated" my presence in the house. Unfortunately, she developed cancer in her leg, and we thought we got it all. As it would turn out, it had spread to the lungs. It was so bad at the end, the poor dog could not lay down and breath. My spouse was distraught and could not bear to be at the side of the kennel while she was allowed to go. I was there, and it really tore my heart apart. Believe me, as much as it hurts you, you will be doing the right thing by letting go. Like a human, we have to know when GOD is calling them home and let them go. It is my hope that someday we will all reunited in paradise.

King Arthur

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
daniell said:
I'm sorry for your family's loss. Our time with them is never enough, but you must have been a good dog daddy for your pup to reach such a grand old age.

I had to put down my 15 1/2 yo border collie back in June. It was difficult, but her quality of life just wasn't there. It still hurts. Just yesterday, I looked at my watch and reflexively thought that I'd better get home to feed Logan.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
daniell said:
I am too distressed to look at his pictures. I have tons of them.
Understandable at this stage. Hope the grief stage is eased somewhat by our good wishes and the thought that the warmth Cookie gave you guys will always be there in spirit, always.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A year ago my dog had the heart failure. The cardiologist only gave him six months to live. He lived 13. In that time, he walked 5 miles, rolled in snow, ate like a horse. I really thought it would go on for many more years.
The water pills killed his kidneys. If I did not give them to him, he would have filled with water. Some choice.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I've got a dog who will reach 15 in November. Tessa can only use three legs and is mostly deaf. She still follows me around the house and yard and keeps me out of trouble. I don't expect her to live much longer, but she may surprise me.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
It's not about you.

It's not about your wife

It's not about anyone's ability to "let go".

It's not about your budget

It IS about your cherished animal's quality of life. That's ALL it's about. Nothing more. Can you provide Cookie with more QUALITY time with you? If you can, do it. If you cannot..... well, there's really no decision to make, is there?

I'm not cold or unfeeling, I love my three dogs. But when the end approaches, emotion frequently gets in the way of doing what's right for the animal. Sometimes it takes a lot of courage to do the right thing.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JustTooBig said:
It's not about you.

It's not about your wife

It's not about anyone's ability to "let go".

It's not about your budget

It IS about your cherished animal's quality of life. That's ALL it's about. Nothing more. Can you provide Cookie with more QUALITY time with you? If you can, do it. If you cannot..... well, there's really no decision to make, is there?

I'm not cold or unfeeling, I love my three dogs. But when the end approaches, emotion frequently gets in the way of doing what's right for the animal. Sometimes it takes a lot of courage to do the right thing.
Can I get him more quality time? NO

If I had unlimited resources would I would pay for an extra week? Yes
Is it rational? No, but I would do it.
My wife spoke to the cardiologist who said there was very little chance. If he improved it may only be for weeks

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
My gf is a vet, she deals with this every day. She says make sure when you go you get someone to drive you home.
Sorry about your family member, that is what we consider our pets too. You will be doing the humane thing, your pet will receive the love it needs no need to feel guilty about it.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
daniell said:
Can I get him more quality time? NO

My wife spoke to the cardiologist who said there was very little chance. If he improved it may only be for weeks
and there, my friend, is the rub -- who are those weeks actually for? Are they for you and your wife to reconcile the impending loss? Are they to "gift" more time to Cookie? Would the dog be in any pain or discomfort during that time? If that's the case, something intended as an act of kindness actually prolongs his suffering.

If you have Cookie's best interests at heart and are at peace with your decisions, you've done the best you can do.

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
Let the dog go, I know where you're coming from being a huge dog lover but what's right for the dog is key. We're here for ya, it's not rambling, it's therapy.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JustTooBig said:
and there, my friend, is the rub -- who are those weeks actually for? Are they for you and your wife to reconcile the impending loss? Are they to "gift" more time to Cookie? Would the dog be in any pain or discomfort during that time? If that's the case, something intended as an act of kindness actually prolongs his suffering.

If you have Cookie's best interests at heart and are at peace with your decisions, you've done the best you can do.
Thanks for your kind words.
What is so horrible however, is that he is still aware of everything.
We were hoping so much that he would go in his sleep.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts