Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am retiring in May and one of my bucket list items is to do some touring. I am planning to ride the Natchez Trace as sort of a shakedown. I want to build a front wheel with a Dynamo hub for lights, phone charging, etc. I have a solar powered electrical system at my fishing camp and am interested in that too. Just curious if anyone has experience with these and/or recommendations.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
These have served me very well over the years: Schmidt Son 28 for light and additional charge port for phone, gps, etc. or Wide Body Deluxe just for the light.
If on a budget, consider the SP.

As far as the light goes, Edelux II is pretty good and does not flicker at low speeds.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
I am retiring in May and one of my bucket list items is to do some touring. I am planning to ride the Natchez Trace as sort of a shakedown. I want to build a front wheel with a Dynamo hub for lights, phone charging, etc. I have a solar powered electrical system at my fishing camp and am interested in that too. Just curious if anyone has experience with these and/or recommendations.
If you want to charge a phone, keep in mind that dynamos produce alternating current, not direct current. You will need a rectifier for any juice going into a phone or a battery.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want to charge a phone, keep in mind that dynamos produce alternating current, not direct current. You will need a rectifier for any juice going into a phone or a battery.
Thanks. I did not realize that it was AC, but I knew you needed some sort of voltage regulation. I saw a charger designed specifically for Dynamos that fits in the head tube which includes a USB port. I carry a 4000 Mah battery pack on long rides of say 8 hours. That will recharge my GPS or Phone twice. But it would be nice to grab a little free power while you are riding.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
it would be nice to grab a little free power while you are riding.
Uh, no. If you draw more juice from a dynamo, it takes more energy to power the dynamo. Not saying you could feel it in your pedaling, but it would take more energy to charge a device than just to power the lights and therefore would take more energy to power the bike. Thermodynamics is a very unforgiving master.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geez, you guys are tough. I would already be pedaling to move my big butt, the bike and all my gear. So I consider that free power as in I don't have pull some cash out of my pocket and buy some batteries. I realize there is some extra resistance on the hub caused by the very light braking effect of the device when current is flowing, but I have been told this is neglible.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm a big fan of Shimano dynamo hubs with cone bearings. They are inexpensive and work great. Just be careful to buy 6V 3W model.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I'm running a Son Delux wide body, an Edelux 2 headlight and a B&M Secula tail light and am quite pleased with them.

Don't know if you've visited Lighting systems but there's a lot of good information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts