dznuts High Viscosity Chamois Cream Pro Review - By Alex Wheeler

• Smooth & creamy consistency
  • Lasts a long, long time
  • Plant derived all natural ingredients
  • Tea tree oil - Powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal oil
  • Evodia - An anti-inflammatory and wound healing agent from Chinese herbal medicine
  • Masterwort - (Peucedanum Ostruthium) Found in the Swiss Alps, this herb was used by the ancient Greeks for its wound healing and calming properties. Its name means "Supreme Strength"
  • MSRP: $22.00
  • Color tested: Black box & tube/white cream
  • Size tested: 4 fl oz/120mL tube
There are few things in cycling that are as personal and specific as chamois cream. Saddles and shoes can require lots of experimentation and testing until one finds what works best. Chamois cream, though, goes to a whole new level of involvement. It takes a strong leap of faith to slather your shorts with a cold, viscous cream and roll out for a few hours. Often this can be, shall we say, uncomfortable, if the cream happens to have a strong menthol ingredient. Obviously, the problem is that everyone's senses are different. One rider might find one cream just perfect while another thinks that he or she has finally gotten the crabs. The point is, chamois creams vary a lot and what works for one might not work for another. With that being said, I present my review of dznuts high viscosity chamois cream.

page_turner.jpg

Dznuts was formulated for Garmin-Chipotle pro racer and part-time comedian, David Zabriskie, by a pharmaceutical scientist. The active ingredients are tea tree oil, evodia and masterwort. All of the other ingredients are plant derived and natural which should help reduce allergic reactions which sometimes occur with creams. Dznuts comes in a 4 oz. tube and costs about $22.

It has a very smooth texture and the consistency of soft cream cheese. It has a mild but pleasing menthol aroma that lasts long enough that you won't funk up the car when you are changing in the back seat. The box includes entertaining instructions on how to apply the cream to your perineal (taint) area or chamois which I followed to the letter, of course. After applying dznuts and chamoising up I found that it has a distinct warming quality, which most chamois creams do. This is one of those details that is hard to describe. I found it to be about the right amount of warmth for my junk. My first ride with dznuts was a chilly day so I definitely appreciated the extra bit of heat down there. The warmth subsided after 20 minutes or so but dznuts continued to work well protecting my parts from the rigors of a long day in the saddle. I have since done several road and mountain bike rides using dznuts and so far, the results have been favorable. I have had zero irritation and actually think that dznuts has made my rides quite a bit more comfortable. DZ claims that it turns your cycling shorts into "freedom wear" and I would tend to agree with that.

Pros:
  • Extra smooth and creamy consistency
  • Pleasing aroma
  • Effective and long lasting comfort
  • High quality natural ingredients

Cons:
  • Price might be an issue for some
  • Warmth/menthol might be too strong or weak for some users (not sure there is a right answer to this one)

Value

4 bottle

Overall

5  bottle